Featured Thrift find today - BIG (28" x 32.5"), vintage B. Prabha - did she have prints this big?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jul 21, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a local thrift store today. When I first saw it & how big it was, I thought I'd found my retirement! (another B Prahab I found that was not as big but a real painting, sold for several $thousand).
    But when I looked at it with a magnifying glass I think it's a print (it's under glass so I'll have to remove it to be sure).
    I tried looking for B. Prabha prints but only found a newer one (site gave options for what size you wanted) - did they make large prints of her works (28" x 32.5" viewable art not counting frame)?
    Are they of any value?
    Mine has some minor water damage along the lower left edge so I'm going to have to remove from frame if it's of any value, otherwise maybe better to sell as is; where you can tell it's a vintage print (because of frame & the thin older glass over art)?
    Thanks for any help with this!

ART PRINT B PRABHA 1AA.JPG ART PRINT B PRABHA 1AAA.JPG ART PRINT B PRABHA 2AA.JPG ART PRINT B PRABHA 3AA.JPG ART PRINT B PRABHA 4AA.JPG ART PRINT B PRABHA 5AA.JPG

2. Roshan Ko

Roshan Ko Well-Known Member

Wow you sure do live in a great area.
    who are these people throwing out these paintings..

May be its a watercolour. i have honeslty never come across a watercolour or print of Prabha, but that does not mean they do not exist. She could have experimented with the mediums in limited quantities

3. journeymagazine

Then it's definitely worth opening up besides the water damage - I will post photos when I do.
    Thank you!

judy likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

She is lovely, a gentle and tranquil picture. But I wonder if the bottom part of the print was cut off at some stage. Her garment is cut off, which is something most painters wouldn't do when the subject is placed like this.

judy likes this.
  5. journeymagazine

Or maybe folded to fit frame? I'll try to open this weekend and check that too.

judy likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Unless it was cut down to fit the frame, or due to some sort of damage. I'd like to know what her deal is too.

judy likes this.
  7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Journey You are blessed My friend & yr thrift store pals have given blessings unto you.But whether you are as ancient as me or younger...you have to seriously scour the web looking at the finer & finest art & more until your eyes bleed.
    Allow time for 'picking' and time for study.
    I say this as a friend-you have an extraordinary opportunity re first dibs from Miami/West Palm Beach-next to Vegas it's the bling capital of the world.
    With a little study why not grab that 50 K Picasso sketch instead of the $100 Peter Max serigraph ?
    With all respects Journey -there may be a 'mother load' lurking beneath your feet.
    Vegas,Palm Beach/Miami/Paris/London-treasure capitols of the world.
    Good Luck Kid-Your So Close .

8. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

Journey has found tonnes of really great stuff, he enjoys picking what he does and I love to see his findings. He is passionate and he sometimes does find the good stuff. I love to see his posts as they are.

Figtree3, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  9. bosko69

Bless You Boudica & Journey-All are respected and encouraged in their discoveries and compassion for fellow seekers.

judy and BoudiccaJones like this.
  10. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

I will of course add that education certainly never hurt anyone and can never get enough, whomever you are. But Journey really enjoys his art and I for one love to see 'em xx

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  11. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

Well also remember that "there's a seat for every butt". It's great that Journey enjoys 1970s and 1980s prints and niche paintings.

I love niche 19th century landscapes. The 19th century predated widespread photography so paintings and the like are the only way we can really "see" life the way our ancestors did back then. There's also something exciting about the Victorian era.

Similarly, the 1970s and 1980s were fascinating decades that are (IMO) best captured in period works. I enjoy whipping out my original copy of "Late Modernism" by Charles Jencks and my family owns a period office building.

19th century works are still considered "stuffy" and "boring" so IMO they are a great investment. As far as I can tell though, modernism and impressionism are still much more popular. To each their own! :)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    Figtree3 and BoudiccaJones like this.
  12. journeymagazine

It may be because I was born in 1960 & grew up in the 1970's; I like the hippie/surreal/abstract look - but I like & will buy almost any art (look at all the factory art I've bought!). It also may be that what I buy is what comes through the stores down here - below is what I bought yesterday straight off the thrift store's donations truck; a early Erte/Mirage Publications poster, a Alexander Calder poster, a Felix Mas limited edition print & a G. Sica painting (the only painting that came in the truck).
    My friend charged me $40 for the Erte, $25 for the Felix Mas, $75 for the G. Sica painting - and gave me the Calder for free because the frame was broken!! (it's my favorite of all of them!).
    A couple of question please?
    The Felix Mas limited edition print has FILEX MAS / Copyright 'All Rights Reserved / Printed in USA -
    FILEX is a obvious typo, right? What are the odds of it getting through before they printed 500 copies??
    Also does anyone know the name of this piece? (I tried Felix Mas 2 sisters, 2 women, etc but nothing came up).
    And the G. Sica painting - I looked him/her up and found a lot of abstract art by a G. Sica and art called Sica art - but not landscapes?
    Can anyone tell me who the artist of the painting/G. Sica is?
    Thank you for the help & the input - hope you like these!

ART POSTER ERTE MIRAGE PUBLICATIONS 1978 1AAA.JPG ART POSTER ERTE MIRAGE PUBLICATIONS 1978 4AAAA.JPG ART POSTER CALDER ALEXANDER HOMAGE TO CALDER NOUVEAU ARTS POSTER 1AA.JPG ART PRINT FELIX MAS LIMITED EDITION PRINT 1AA.JPG ART PRINT FELIX MAS LIMITED EDITION PRINT 3AA.JPG ART PRINT FELIX MAS LIMITED EDITION PRINT 4AA.JPG ART PAINTING G SICA 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING G SICA 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING G SICA 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING G SICA 5AA.JPG

judy likes this.
  13. bosko69

Friends-I'm feeling the 'I had to retire at 70 Covid pinch' re my bank account,this makes me budget-wise,part picker/part financial surgeon-penny wise that is at the Hospice,Charity,Junketeria (not to mention everywhere else-gas,grocery).
    2 of my dearest friends on the planet retired with a Tier 1 CalPERS Pension (California Public Employees Retirement System-wiki it). Their pension allotments prob 5-6 times larger than ours right now (24k vs 120k)-so till my ladies pension kicks in,I'd better be one hell of a scholarly picker re 'cash out-cash in'.GoodShill-'No Returns/Only Credit-30 Days",more fair than Ebay Chargebacks ?
    There was a time when most all folks in the U.S. had Pensions.
    As they said in Dad's Army-'If You got 'em,smoke 'em'...if not not,time to start lookin' for leftover smoked buts.

PS-Sorry for the lengthy existential/political/ short bio-but,sometimes 'pickin' is a survival tool,it can also be a very joyful aerobic form of exercise.
    Even Our most precious pieces are always (subconsciously) factored into the bank account.I've heard too many 'Depression' tales to not.
    This is why we sold our beloved antique tribal shield after 9/11-both laid off about a month later and the 2 kitties developed renal failure (not to mention paying the rent).

All Species Most Welcome-'keep on truckin' friends'.
    PSS-I didn't really know what to say re: Mr. James Conrad.I never interacted w/ Him,but I truly wish Him God's speed and hope to see Him in that timeless place- Tir na nOg.
    PSSSS- All apologies if I posted this to the incorrect Forum.I will take my punishment as part of my education.

judy and journeymagazine like this.
  14. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

The Felix Mas is not a limited edition print. The semantics are important...it is a signed and numbered photo-mechanical reproduction rather than an original work of graphic art (i.e. a woodcut, engraving, lithograph, etc.). Think of it as a glorified poster because, in reality, that's all it is.

15. journeymagazine

Ok - but spelling the artist's name wrong and signed by him has to give it some value?

judy likes this.
  16. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Why?

17. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

I've got a bunch of late 19th century, gold plated safety razors in original cases. You'd think they'd be worth a fortune. Sadly, I'd probably get $120 for the bunch on Ebay after shipping.

Agree. A work might be unusual, unique, or old but that doesn't necessarily make it valuable. I don't dare invest in modern art because there's so much of it out there (valuable and not) and it seems so easy to get burned.

P.S. As an "art noob" it's interesting to read Journey's threads and learn more about the pluses and minus of modern art collecting.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    judy and Houseful like this.
  18. bosko69

My Dear Friend Whit-I'd love to be pickin' w/you mate, but alas-we's stuck in Oregon & You in Florida-so many rivers to cross my brother.

journeymagazine likes this.
  19. Roshan Ko

Roshan Ko Well-Known Member

Hi Journey Did you end up opening the frame?

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  20. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted