Featured Thrift find today - painting by W. Emery Vizkelety; is this painting that old?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Nov 7, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at my friend's thrift store today. I almost left it because I couldn't figure out the signature, but it was the only half decent piece of art that came in today so I bought it.
    When I got home I noticed someone had spelled out the artist's name on the frame in back and saw that I had a painting by W Emery Vizkelety (looking him up I saw that his works have sold at auction for $300 up to $5,900+ !!).
    But I also saw that he was born in 1819 & died in 1895 - does this painting look like 125+ year old painting? It must have been reframed at some point right?
    Also a observation - 1st set of photos below were taken outside in sun and 2nd set inside with phone flash - there is such a difference! (I actually think the last (inside photos) are closer to the true image)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
    Thank you!

ART PAINTING GYPSY VIZKELETY  W  EMIRY  1AAA RESIZED.jpg ART PAINTING GYPSY VIZKELETY  W  EMIRY  2AA.jpg ART PAINTING GYPSY VIZKELETY  W  EMIRY  4AA.jpg ART PAINTING GYPSY VIZKELETY  W  EMIRY  5AA.jpg ART PAINTING GYPSY VIZKELETY  W  EMIRY  5AAA.jpg

BELOW PHOTOS TAKEN INSIDE w/PHONE CAMERA

ART PAINTING GYPSY VIZKELETY  W  EMIRY  6AA RESIZED.jpg ART PAINTING GYPSY VIZKELETY  W  EMIRY  7AA.jpg ART PAINTING GYPSY VIZKELETY  W  EMIRY  8AA.jpg ART PAINTING GYPSY VIZKELETY  W  EMIRY  9AA.jpg ART PAINTING GYPSY VIZKELETY  W  EMIRY  9AAA.jpg

elarnia, Any Jewelry, judy and 4 others like this.
  2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Lots of info about on this artist, paintings do look bright and modern.
    F5415B68-C736-4AE2-ABCE-931BAC88B707.jpeg

Any Jewelry, judy, Boland and 3 others like this.
  3. Houseful

Also died in 1960s as shown above if that’s correct!

4. journeymagazine

60s makes more sense as to look of paintings age!
    Thank you!

judy likes this.
  5. journeymagazine

Plus the skirts/dresses look more 50s/60s than turn of century - made me think of Lucile Ball doing a surprise appearance (to Desi) at her husband's Tropicana club on I Love Lucy!

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

That is a lovely painting.Good for you !

Any Jewelry, judy, Boland and 2 others like this.
  7. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

8. journeymagazine

judy likes this.
  9. Houseful

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

2 different artists, 2 different names isn't it ?

Your artist is the one house posted

11. Houseful

The aliases are causing a bit of confusion.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  12. journeymagazine

Well I sold it yesterday for $350 to the same guy who bought my Wilfrid Daleus painting for $500 last week.
    He is a picker like me but much more successful - he has 2 people working for him who photograph, list, pack & ship his finds; all he does is find them (my dream job - treasure hunting every day & then having someone else doing the rest).
    Like the Daleus I sold it for less than what people are asking for theirs but not a lot are selling today, Also, I only paid $40 for this painting and I sold it in 3 days (with no eBay fees, no packing & shipping (& possible damage in transit) & no possible returns) - it gives him a chance to make money eventually (expensive art is selling slower now with the crazy inflation & living costs today) and it gives me a big return on what I paid quickly to go find more (I made 100% profit on the Daleus but I made 700% profit on the Vizkeleti)

I would like to hold on to them until I could get what they are really worth but I can't afford to do that yet; I don't have a regular income - what I buy something for & then resell it for is my income!

13. Houseful

I don’t want to wait forever for top dollar. I sell bits and pieces at auction, or Gumtree, so someone else can buy my items and also make a bit too. It works for me as I buy cheaply and I really don’t want the bother of posting, packing, people not paying up, returning stuff etc
    Plus I include the cost for the fun of finding the items as I seem to like that more than the money I get for my things.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  14. journeymagazine

Me too - I love the hunt!

Draft saved Draft deleted