Featured Thrift find today - real bull fighting poster? Plus, a 1969 Arlene Sherman geometrical print

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Dec 29, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these 2 art pieces at my local thrift store today - from the small print along bottom of the bull fighting poster, I'm thinking it might be real? (Look at the close up of the man - he looks like an advertisement or maybe a cartoon strip character drawn well)

The 2nd one is a 1969 limited edition geometric (?) print "Five of Six" by Arlene Sherman - the only other one I found was on 1st Dibs and apparently sold for $1,800!

Hope you like them like I do!

ART POSTER MATADOR 1AA.jpg ART POSTER MATADOR 3AA.jpg ART POSTER MATADOR 4AA.jpg ART POSTER MATADOR 5A_AA.jpg ART POSTER MATADOR 6AA.jpg ART POSTER MATADOR 7AA.jpg
    ART PRINT SQUARES 1969 1AAA.jpg ART PRINT SQUARES 1969 2AA.jpg ART PRINT SQUARES 1969 3AA.jpg ART PRINT SQUARES 1969 4AA.jpg

Figtree3, judy and KSW like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Figtree3, judy, KSW and 2 others like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hum... The bull fight poster doesn't give the location of the bull ring. That leads me to believe it's a souvenir.

Debora

Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
    KSW likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And, duh... It doesn't have a date either! Fantasy piece. Cites currency in pesetas so pre-1995 when the euro was introduced.

Debora

KSW likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here's the artwork on your poster on a genuine poster. Note location of ring in upper left hand corner and prominent dates. c. 1970s according to the seller but it's clearly dated 1991. That aligns with hair cut and pre-euro currency.

Debora

17074-image-1200-1200-fit.jpg

Houseful, KSW and Roaring20s like this.
  6. journeymagazine

Sheesh. Gotta laugh so you don't cry. lol
    Thank you!

KSW likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

These are popular souvenirs. This one from the Costa del Sol (as it says.) One can buy the template and have one's name imprinted along with that of a popular/famous bullfighter. In this case "Joselito" and "El Litri" are both of the above and did share a ring in 1990. But further up north near Valencia, not on the Costa del Sol.

Debora

a8461a06-266e-47d0-a878-01d5d411d5a9_16-9-aspect-ratio_default_0.jpg

8. journeymagazine

That is a great marketing idea! I would have had 1 made with my name if I was there!

Draft saved Draft deleted