Thrift Store Dresser and Chest

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by TWood, Jan 8, 2019.

1. TWood

TWood Member

Hi again! You guys are so helpful. I wish I could give back, but I'm afraid I can only ask help.

Here is a chest and dresser that came into our Thrift Store (in Greenville, SC). The dresser had a mirror at some point, but unfortunately, it didn't make it to the donation. There are water stains, as you can see, but they're otherwise in good shape. Both have casters and the chest's side compartments are lined with cedar. I can't find any thing else about where and when.

Can you guys give me any direction vis-à-vis specific time period or value? Thanks again!!
    Chest and Dresser.jpg Chest and Dresser.jpg Chest.jpg Chest Front Open.jpg Chest Back.jpg Dresser Front.jpg Dresser Back.jpg

scoutshouse and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They look 1930s-40s to me, but let's wait for the furniture people.

3. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

The drawer pulls are possibly bakelite. If they test positive, that will add somewhat to the cachet.

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The pulls,if bakelite,might be worth more than the dressers! I agree,1930s and mass produced.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Ditto. Moderne style but not the 30s "waterfall" stuff; the handles are probably bakelite.

Ghopper1924, Sandra and i need help like this.
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I would switch out the handles if Bakelite. Nice straight brass ones would go with this set. I like "brown" furniture, it is heavy, well constructed and usable. We are using my other halfs grandparents bedroom suite. The only thing I changed was converting the bed to a queen size. the cats and I love the set.:rolleyes:
    greg

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree with the others. Think these would clean up considerably without too much effort. Also agree that there is fair value in the bakelite handles in the right market. Would think $100.00 or so on ebay. They do enhance the pieces but if selling, make sure that they would be valued in your market. I have had to routinely remove bakelite handles from furniture to be able to sell for less in my market. Makes no sense to sell a chest for $ 100.00 with $60-80.00 worth of handles on it when you can get the same money with plain-Jane pulls.

Draft saved Draft deleted