THRIFT STORE FIND #1 LARGE FLAMENCO DANCER PAINTING - HELP w/SIGNATURE

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Apr 11, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I went to a different thrift store than usual today - and came across a large bin on wheels full of paintings. I picked out 7 (5 paintings, 1 poster w/real movie poster frame (each side opens & snaps close to hold poster) + a Moet Chandon? mirror w/a art nouveau lady by Alphonso Moche on it - all for $40!!

This is one of the paintings; it is a large (48 x 24) painting of a Flamenco dancer, but I can't make out the artist's name. The only thing that could make this find better is if one of the paintings is by a listed artist!
    Does anyone recognize the name on this painting?
    I appreciate any help.
    AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING FLAMENCO DANCER 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING FLAMENCO DANCER 2AA.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Factory painting

judy and Lucille.b like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

H. Marchetti?
    I don't know if it is a factory painting, I remember these from 60s kitsch interiors.

judy and kyratango like this.
  4. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Seems to read H. Marchetta

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Nick72 and judy like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'm sorry, and I KNOW this doesn't relate to the painting directly, but the title.....
    did you see in the news that a guy on "WHEEL" lost $7500.00 because he mispronounced "Flamenco Dancer"???? He said "Flamingo Dancer"......poor guy......:(:(:(:sorry:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Any Jewelry, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Call me crazy,but I like it. Its far more expressive than most of these I see. Is it me,or do the dancers look like black ladies? Dresses and hair look 1960s to me,Im wondering if this is Cuban in origin? There are many Marchetti's listed,maybe this was one of the family? t really puts me in mind of JJ's paintings from Good Times !
    p.s. Never buy large art for resale,it doesnt sell!

kyratango and judy like this.
  7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Yes, I saw that too!

8. journeymagazine

Sheesh - I see it now!

judy likes this.
  9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I still think it's a factory painting. Too florid for me. I'm more fond of Sargent's El Jaleo at the Gardner Museum

El_Jaleo.jpg

10. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I love the lighting in that Sargent painting.

11. Any Jewelry

They could be Gypsies. Gypsies can be very dark-skinned and look different than many Europeans. They are originally from tribal India. I used to know a Rumanian gypsy nick-named Kalo (black in Romany, a Gypsy language) for that reason.
    Calo is the Gypsy name for Spanish Gypsies, a different spelling.
    European-looking Gypsies are mixed with ethnic Europeans. We even have some fair haired ones here in the Netherlands.
    A spokeswoman for Dutch Sinti Gypsies:
    [​IMG]

judy and johnnycb09 like this.
  12. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    judy, Any Jewelry and Houseful like this.
  13. DavidC

DavidC Member

Be really careful of the signature and the quality of the work. I'm fairly good with Spanish art but I'm not sure about this one. Of the works that I know I can think of several different signature types that are just not the real thing. Fake is the brutal way of saying it. Best D

Lucille.b and judy like this.
  14. journeymagazine

When I showed it to a friend today & suggested Cuba, she told me it's from Southern Spain where there are black people; gypsies & I can't remember the 2nd now (on the tip of my tongue - but it won't come!) from across the border (I think; she then bought 7-8 paintings and it slipped my mind, sorry)

Nick72 likes this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Across the border? What border? Your friend's 2nd group was probably the British; they're unavoidable in southern Spain. To my eye, this looks like a vintage fantasy piece that was sold in a PX somewhere.

Debora

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  16. DavidC

DavidC Member

I think the point is lost here. The original post of "Gitana" dancers is typically Spanish other than the subjects seem to show darker faces than what is expected by many people. The Gypsies of Spain especially and mostly Andalusia are directly related to the Phonecian and Carthaginian traders of about 5000 years ago. While North Africans are often dark they are different from what is generally understood as Negro. Phonecian's are completely different on the other hand being more similar to Caucasians in stature and angular features although with dark sapphire eyes and jet black hair. Since the mixture of the Carthaginians and Phonecians with other members of the mixed Spanish culture has been limited the race of the Spanish Gypsy would seem to now have taken on its own identity. Something they are rightly proud of and why not.

17. DavidC

DavidC Member

Therefore this is Cuban or a tourist piece painted in China. It isn't Spanish. Best wishes to everyone

Figtree3 likes this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Even though the Calé, or main group of Spanish Gypsies, traveled through North Africa and finally ended up in Spain and Southern France, their origin is exactly the same as that of other Gypsies: India.
    Like the other Gypsy groups, they occasionally mixed with people along the way, which can be seen in some of them. Sometimes the mix was forced, because they were often slaves. Spain has a long and atrocious history of Gypsy slavery, as does Romania.
    One important influence in European Gypsies, whether they took the North African route or the Eastern European route, is Iranian. There are still many Farsi words in Calo and in the different Romany dialects spoken in Europe.
    And there are great similarities between Calo and Romany. One of them being the obvious one, the name Calo (Kalo) which means black in both languages. Kalo is often a name given to the darker Gypsies who resemble darker Indians. I have met Gypsies in Hungary who were almost black, just like some people in India. One of my Romanian Gypsy friends was also nicknamed Kalo.
    India has recognized all real Gypsies, including the Calo and Romany, as people of Indian origin, and frequently defends Gypsy rights in other countries. There are still Gypsies in India as well, and the country welcomes all Gypsies. It supports cultural exchanges between Gypsies from all continents.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Nick72 and Huntingtreasure like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted