THRIFT STORE FIND - 1952 AIR FRANCE / LUCIEN BOUCHER WORLD MAP SILK SCARF REAL?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Nov 12, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at my local thrift store today - and though I looked everywhere for '1952 Air France Lucien Boucher world map silk scarf' - all I could find was 1952 Air France luciern boucher world map lithograph or on wood? Not 1 that said simply 'silk scarf' (1 said silk with board back)
    But I paid the $89 price because when I google translated the words on the bottom center of the scarf (MUSEE AIR FRANCE D'APRES LUCIEN BOUCHER 1952 DROITS RESERVE ) - it translated to:

MUSEE AIR FRANCE BY LUCIEN BOUCHER 1952 RIGHTS RESERVE

And so I am also hoping that those maps I found were this scarf that people mounted??

SO do I have the real thing?
    Is it worth the asking prices I've seen of $1,000" ?
    If it is real is it worth more as it is or should I put it in a frame/shadow box?

Thank you - fingers crossed!!

CLOTHES SCARF AIR FRANCE MAP 1953 1AA.JPG CLOTHES SCARF AIR FRANCE MAP 1953 2AA.JPG CLOTHES SCARF AIR FRANCE MAP 1953 3AA.JPG CLOTHES SCARF AIR FRANCE MAP 1953 4AA.JPG CLOTHES SCARF AIR FRANCE MAP 1953 5AA.JPG

Figtree3 and aaroncab like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Apparently the original lithograpic image was produced in an edition of 500. I suspect this is a museum gallery souvenir. It's a nice looking piece and scarves can certainly be expensive, but valuing them is beyond me.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That does appear to be a high quality scarf. What one looks for is 1) thick silk twill and 2) a hand-rolled hem. Yours appears to have both.

I doubt the 1952 date because I think that's a newer Air France logo. I'll do some research for you and find out for sure.

In the meantime, if it has a fabric content tag, please post it. (If it doesn't, the value isn't effected as they're often removed by the wearer.) What will effect value are the stains on "Sur les alles." They don't look like they're removable but I may be wrong.

Debora

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Figtree3, Lucille.b, antidiem and 6 others like this.
  5. journeymagazine

I just looked at it but didn't see the line written in bottom center that I googled translated?
    But if that is it then I should break even with it on eBay at least (dang it!)
    Thank you

komokwa and moreotherstuff like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The line is there if you zoom in.

Debora

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 11.24.30 AM.png

7. journeymagazine

Ok thanks not the home run I thought but not a loss!
    Thanks Debora

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's a beautiful scarf. You have a good eye.

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. journeymagazine

I learned from the Hermes scarfs my mom left me that you also helped me with, remember? !

Figtree3 and Debora like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted