Featured Thrift Store Find - Eames Lounger & Ottoman or a Copy; How to Tell?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by journeymagazine, Feb 25, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I saw this today at a local thrift store as it came off the truck & I RAN to it when I saw it! I've always loved these chairs.
    I'm pretty sure it's a copy but the arm rests are wide, the body is wood & it has 5 legs on it's base. But there is no maker's mark anywhere.
    If it is a copy I still think I did OK - my friend (who is the thrift store manager) sold it to me for only $150!
    How can I tell if it's real or a copy?
    If a copy how do you tell which? (I read an article online about the 6 best Herman Miller lounge chairs & most were almost exact copies)
    Thanks for any help

FURNITURE LOUNGE CHAIR & OTTOMAN 1AA.JPG FURNITURE LOUNGE CHAIR & OTTOMAN 1BAA.JPG FURNITURE LOUNGE CHAIR & OTTOMAN 1CAAA.JPG FURNITURE LOUNGE CHAIR & OTTOMAN 1DAA.JPG FURNITURE LOUNGE CHAIR & OTTOMAN 2AAA.JPG

Figtree3, elarnia, mmarco102 and 6 others like this.
  2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Figtree3, mmarco102, Boland and 2 others like this.
  3. journeymagazine

Thank you!

judy likes this.
  4. journeymagazine

It sold first thing this morning for $500
    PLUS! He also bought the old record player converted into a bar for $200!
    I'm happy with a overnite profit of $350 but am wondering if it was a good price if a copy? Because I must have gotten over 50 messages after posting it on FB marketplace furniture & also used it as the 1st pic on a FB marketplace garage sale ad!

Figtree3, judy and elarnia like this.
  5. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Very cool. Always liked that look.

judy likes this.
  6. journeymagazine

Hasn't changed since it came out in the 1950's I believe - and they're still making them today! (I think of Capt Kirk's chair on Star trek!)

Figtree3, judy and Boland like this.
  7. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Yes but much more classic and better lines than Kirk’s square box :). Anyway hoping to have one in my study one day. A great buy you made

judy likes this.
  8. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I think you could have easily gotten at least a couple hundred more out of it based on what I see in auctions if it was in good condition. Nothing wrong with that profit and freeing up the space quick though. Nice score!

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  9. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

You did great, no matter what. They are "real" but that doesn't mean much, really. They still make them today, and of very good quality, but I think that either Herman Miller sold the patent or it expired. Old ones, as from the time the Ames' were alive, have very visible HM tags.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted