Thrift store find - Frank Auerbach painting?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Feb 29, 2024.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this cool painting at a thrift store yesterday - there's no signature I can see on the front but I can make out Frank on the top back of canvas, with a unreadable 2nd name below that.
    I took a photo & did a image search on my phone & Frank Auerbach paintings came up - Could this be by Frank Auerbach?
    Thank you for any help!

ART PAINTING FRANK FACE PALLETTE STYLE 1A FRANK AUERBACH .jpg ART PAINTING FRANK FACE PALLETTE STYLE 2AA.jpg ART PAINTING FRANK FACE PALLETTE STYLE 3AA.jpg ART PAINTING FRANK FACE PALLETTE STYLE 4AA.jpg ART PAINTING FRANK FACE PALLETTE STYLE 4BAA.jpg

2. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

With Google Lens I get many paintings, but not one Auerbach
    And this is his signature
    download.jpg
    not one matching letter style.
    But I'm no expert, so let's see what the real connaisseurs have to say :)
    (and is it Frank, or is it Frantz?)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Virginia

Virginia New Member

4. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

I like your painting JM but don't think it's Auerbach. I also like Frank Auerbach,one of David Bowie's favorite painters.Same general era as Lucien Freud & Francis Bacon.
    AUER1.jpeg

Any Jewelry, Marote and Potteryplease like this.
  6. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Frank Moore?
    images.jpg images.jpg

7. journeymagazine

I haven't heard the name David Bowie in a long time - one of the Kings of rock n roll!

8. journeymagazine

9. journeymagazine

I sent a note & pics to the Berkley museum that came up when searching Frank Moore asking if it was by him; I'll let you know.
    ps - I didn't know he was in a wheelchair & painted with a brush attached to his head?!

10. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

It looks like the artist had fun making this. It has an appeal to it. Good texture, and just when you think the mixing strokes are a mess, a highlight pops through.

11. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard of his name before, but in the second line I read 'Mor', so I googled for "frank mor painting" and, of course, google gives results with words you didn't ask for, but in this case it was a (possible) positive thing, as his work does indeed look similar. There are also Frank Moore paintings with a different style, but that another FM.
    I couldn't find any signatures, and that Mor, or whatever it is, on your painting doesn't really look like Moore, and what I read as an R is different from the R in Frank, but if I had to sign my name with a brush attached to my head, I wouldn't do a better job.

Draft saved Draft deleted