Featured THRIFT STORE FIND - HELP NAME VINTAGE/ANTIQUE SAXOPHONE?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Sep 17, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Found this at a local thrift store today! I know it looks rough, but it has a ornate frame (the bars that connect the keys to the round pieces that control air making notes), it has mother of pearl keys & they all work beautifully.
    The only problem is I can't find a name on it, only a flower design etched into it.
    Can anyone tell me what I have - and if it is worth the $49 I paid for it??
    As always I thank you & appreciate any help!

MUSIC SAXOPHONE 1AA.JPG MUSIC SAXOPHONE 3AA.JPG MUSIC SAXOPHONE 3AAA.JPG MUSIC SAXOPHONE 4AA.JPG MUSIC SAXOPHONE 4BAA.JPG MUSIC SAXOPHONE 2AA.JPG MUSIC SAXOPHONE 2AAA.JPG MUSIC SAXOPHONE 5AA.JPG

Vintage Maven, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

A little simple wriggle/rocker engraving.

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

HOW on earth ya ever gonna shine that puppy up????:rolleyes::rolleyes::p:cool::confused:

kyratango, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

Most of the plating is gone, having it replated will affect the tone so if it plays well, don't mess with it other than to replace the pads and have it oiled and the valves reseated if you find out the maker. Look at the lip of the bell, both inside and out and at the bottom curve, usually on the back. Some student horns don't get engraved. We bought 2 Altos and a soprano for our daughter while she was in school. She wanted a baritone, thank heavens we didn't invest in that, her horns have sat untouched for 10 years.

Linda

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

@all_fakes .....will likely say it would cost too much to put it back in playing order....but as a wall hanger...you might make a buck on it ..

i need help, kyratango and judy like this.
  6. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

That is what I'd say; but it would certainly be worth searching very hard for any marks or name; and there are some unusual features that might lead someone more familiar with sax to ID it. And if it can be identified as a rare and desirable instrument, there could be some bucks in it.
    But in general, pad replacement and adjustments to the action are pretty expensive, $10 and up per pad, and most old winds will need some work.

i need help and komokwa like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Unusual , how ?
    I don't know enuf to see that....:sorry::sorry:;)

i need help likes this.
  8. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Thanks all - I'm still looking it over for anything!

9. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I cleaned one up that looked worse than this one. Make up a bowl of vinegar and salt. Soak paper towels or old t-shirts in the solution and lay it over the brass. Don't do it in the sun or it dries out too fast. Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes before wiping it off and rinsing with water. I had to do some areas several times to get the black tarnish off but it looked great when it was done.

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  10. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I don't know the correct names....but the sheet metal shrouds and attachments for the various mechanical parts look different than many I've seen, so a sax player might recognize the maker.
    Making it shiny would not be too hard, but making it playable at a reasonable price could well be another matter.

Mill Cove Treasures and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted