Featured Thrift Store Find Home Run!? - Rare Robert F. Gilder painting From Probate Court; How to Clean?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Oct 11, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I saw this painting while at a thrift store & almost passed it by, but it was about the only new painting I'd found so far so I picked it up to look it over. When I looked at the back I read about it being one of 100's that had been delivered to the Sarpy County, Nebraska probate court.
    I'd never seen anything like this on a painting so I googled the artist name - imagine my surprise when I saw his paintings valued in the $1,000's (1 sold on eBay for over $2,000!) and that his work did not appear for sale very often!
    Has anyone seen a sticker like this on a painting/art before? Can I say it's more rare as it came from his private collection that wasn't intended for sale?

But my main question I have is; it's dirty - how could I clean it? (was going to try a rag dampened with warm water but thought I should wait & ask here first to be safe!)
    It also has a flea bite size fleck of paint missing (3rd Photo - to right of center where snow meets the grass & trees - how much does that hurt it's value?
    I thought Friday was one of the best thrift store treasure hunting days when I found a over sized Keds high top sneaker display piece - but this is right up there!
    Thank you for any help, I appreciate it very much!

ART PAINTING GILDER NEBRASKA SNOW SCENE 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING GILDER NEBRASKA SNOW SCENE 1BAA.JPG ART PAINTING GILDER NEBRASKA SNOW SCENE 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING GILDER NEBRASKA SNOW SCENE 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING GILDER NEBRASKA SNOW SCENE 5AA.JPG ART PAINTING GILDER NEBRASKA SNOW SCENE 5AAA.JPG

BELOW TAKEN OUTSIDE HOPING FOR "CLEANER" LOOKING PAINTING - BUT IT WAS CLOUDY & ABOUT TO RAIN

ART PAINTING GILDER NEBRASKA SNOW SCENE 7AA.JPG ART PAINTING GILDER NEBRASKA SNOW SCENE 7AAA.JPG ART PAINTING GILDER NEBRASKA SNOW SCENE 8AA.JPG

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Suggest you not clean it for resale and don't worry if your photos make it look yellowed. A buyer can have it professionally cleaned.

Doubt there is any need for concern for the paint loss, just state that it could use a good cleaning and there is a tiny paint chip missing - as you've shown here.

3. journeymagazine

I was thinking the same. Just thought if it was easy to clean it'd be worth a lot more - but if there's a chance of hurting it I'd rather do as you suggested.

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

This chance always exists. It's a beautiful painting and someone will buy it without your extra effort. The fact that a chip is missing would make me tend NOT to want to clean it myself. Also, after Hurricane Katrina, I cleaned one of my own oil paintings ONCE and that once was enough! ;)

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Excuse the volume but... DON'T CLEAN IT. That is work for a professional. And a buyer will prefer to use his/her own (trusted) resource.

Debora

DrPam, ulilwitch, plaid423 and 6 others like this.
  6. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Lovely frame. Here's his obituary from the NYTimes. March 9, 1940.

Debora

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 2.18.01 PM.jpeg

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I wouldn't claim rare because came from his workshop. The reverse might have been true. The artist might have thought it not of saleable quality. One has no way of knowing (although the fact that it was so nicely framed would indicate it was valued by someone.)

Debora

ulilwitch, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  9. charlie cheswick

Not exactly the most interesting subject matter and odd perspective

But love the colours, and the way it's painting

10. journeymagazine

I think it's from a collection he did called snow scenes or Nebraska snow or something snow (I read it today & already can't remember it sheesh - sorry)

ulilwitch likes this.
  11. journeymagazine

Has anyone seen or heard about his works going to a probate court? I didn't find anything & it's most interesting to me.

ulilwitch likes this.
  12. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

There is nothing unusual about this sticker, it was applied by the appraiser for his estate. Henry F. Kieser was from Nebraska and probably a friend of the artist. Even though he was the administrator of the estate he may not have had access to the studio, therefore officers of the probate court most likely worked with the appraiser to build an inventory and value of the estate. Pretty standard stuff.

13. Rose Brown

Rose Brown New Member

I think it's absolutely beautiful and very glad I clicked to check it out.
    But I actually clicked because I'm trying to find out how to clean a painting that I have in my possession that's also dirty. I'm not going to sell it and I don't think it is worth more than a few hundred at most. I've tried to have professionals give me an estimate to clean it. One was kind of snooty and said he only does museum pieces, another said send me measurements and a photo but he never got back to me after I did that. The third one never got back to me period. So good for you the recommendation is to not do it because it seems impossible service to find.

14. charlie cheswick

One thing I can suggest trying is bread crumbs.

Basically it can remove surface dirt without causing harm to the painting

Rubbing lightly of course

I've tried it before and it works

Maybe try a small area first and see how it goes

If the paintwork is at all flakey or fragile don't, but if it's pretty stable its worth a try

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    Rose Brown, ulilwitch and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

So do I.:)

16. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

For cleaning
    Read up before you try it (if you can bring yourself to try it) but I believe saliva on a q-tip is used sometimes.

17. Any Jewelry

Yes, it is. Or on some cotton wool.

Gus Tuason, Rose Brown and ulilwitch like this.
  18. journeymagazine

I'm going to wait I think - maybe I'll try first on one of the many "factory" paintings I thought were home runs! lol

Rose Brown, ulilwitch and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

20. Any Jewelry

Draft saved Draft deleted