Thrift Store Find Lamp #2 - Pair of big, chrome/aluminum & brass sconces w/cool gold shades

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by journeymagazine, Jul 29, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

This pair of sconces are the 2nd of 2 cool lamp finds I discovered at a local thrift store yesterday! They are Big & stately looking, but their shades are the topper!
    The shades look like a reflective gold film - I've never seen anything like them!
    Unfortunately 1 shade's round "rib" is detached, but could probably be glued back on. But the 2nd one has a small hole/tear in it that I don't know how to fix.
    2 questions - what do I call these?
    Should I just leave shades off & sell as is - or show issues & tell buyer they will have to fix them? It may be easier just to buy new lamp shades, right?
    Any information or any thoughts on these would be greatly appreciated - than you!
    PS - Last photo is of a Danish(?) coffee table I bought off a friend who found it in a storage unit - I think it's a coffee table, but it is low and long; can someone tell me what this is/is called?
    Thank you again!

FURNITURE LAMP SCONCES BRASS & ALUMINUM TORCH LIKE 1AA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP SCONCES BRASS & ALUMINUM TORCH LIKE 2AA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP SCONCES BRASS & ALUMINUM TORCH LIKE 2BAA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP SCONCES BRASS & ALUMINUM TORCH LIKE 3AA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP SCONCES BRASS & ALUMINUM TORCH LIKE 3BAA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP SCONCES BRASS & ALUMINUM TORCH LIKE 5AAA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP SCONCES BRASS & ALUMINUM TORCH LIKE 5FAA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP SCONCES BRASS & ALUMINUM TORCH LIKE 5DAA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP SCONCES BRASS & ALUMINUM TORCH LIKE 9AAA.jpg

Danish(?) long, low coffee table(?) my friend found in storage unit auction & I bought from him.

FURNITURE TABLE DANISH COFFEE TABLE 1A.jpg

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think your sconces are from the late 70s or early 80s. I guess I would ditch the shades since they are in such poor condition. They do add to the overall look so kind of a shame to lose them. Your table is definitely a coffee table. Don't see anything particularly Danish about it but could be.

3. journeymagazine

Thank you - it's also easier to ship without shades, but if they had been in good condition they would have had to go with these sconces!
    What should I call them? What style do they look like (only ones I can think of now is colonial & Edwardian and I know they are not them!)

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Don't ditch the shades! They are original and can be recovered by someone clever. (And sorry to shout. My pet peeve. The integrity of any lamp is harmed when the original shade is discarded.)

Debora

KylieS likes this.
  5. journeymagazine

Ok (damn!) - I trust your sense more than mine.
    Maybe I'll give 2 shipping charges - 1 with & 1 without the shades!

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ah, come on now. Those shades don't weigh anything. Throw 'em in the box.

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. journeymagazine

It changes the size of the box a lot

8. journeymagazine

What do I call these - mcm brass & aluminum sconces?

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That sounds good to me.

Another thing you could do, if you haven't listed them yet: sell as a pair without the shades, but mention and show the shades. Say that you will throw them in if the buyer is willing to pay the extra shipping.

journeymagazine likes this.
  10. journeymagazine

That's what I was thinking too - thanks Figtree3!

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted