THRIFT STORE FIND! MARINE CORPS BAND STERLING CONDUCTOR'S BATON

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jun 14, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

THIS is why I go a 1/2 hour early every day to a local thrift store - to get first look at bikes, paintings & anything new that is unusual.
    Behind the counter they had what I thought was a military swagger stick, until I saw it was marked sterling on both ends + had the marine corps logo on one end of it. That made me think it is a band conductor's baton - is that right?
    But I can't find any info when I google 'Marine Corps band conductor's baton'
    Did I hit a home run?!
    On the end with the logo, after STERLING, it has engraved: SERV. (a logo) 177 - what does that mean?
    It also has what looks like:
    A.N. SCHAEFER (?)
    engraved sideways on 1 end - is that the silver maker or the marine conductor?
    Thanks - I appreciate any help.
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MARINES BAND LEADER BATON 1AA.jpg
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MARINES BAND LEADER BATON 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MARINES BAND LEADER BATON 3AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MARINES BAND LEADER BATON 5AA_A.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MARINES BAND LEADER BATON 6AA.jpg
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY MARINES BAND LEADER BATON 8AA.jpg

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I see Ser. #177, a serial number.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Bronwen

A.N. Shaffer?

4. Bronwen

It does not look like a conductor's baton. Think swagger stick was closer. How long is it?

5. Bronwen

From Wikipedia:

Swagger sticks were once in vogue in the United States Marine Corps, starting as an informal accessory carried by officers in the late 19th century. In 1915, it gained official approval as recruiters were encouraged to carry them to improve their public image. This tradition grew when Marines deployed for World War I encountered European officers carrying swagger sticks, leading to an entry in the uniform regulations in 1922 authorizing enlisted Marines to carry them as well.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, a swagger stick. Very nice, journey.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  7. journeymagazine

It is 22" long.
    If it is a Marine Corps swagger stick how can you tell it's age? - I'll google when the logo came out for a start, right?
    Thank you guys!

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Bronwen

Think tracking the logo is not the way to start. The Marines are a relatively new service; probably been their logo from the start. Think this is a good place to start. It tells a bit more about when they were popular & shows that they make different ones for different ranks. The simplicity of this one suggests an enlisted man.

Aha!
    Sorta like it, but looks older.

EBay is really the best place to start researching for many things.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. journeymagazine

10. Bronwen

Yours is already showing up in Google image results for 'marine corps swagger stick sterling'.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. journeymagazine

12. Bronwen

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The Marine Corps is just as old as our country.... authorized by Congress in 1775.

14. Bronwen

Oops. Sorry. Didn't check. Probably thinking of Air Force. Still think emblem would not have been the place to start researching.

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted