Featured Thrift Store Find - Tiffany & Co. Sterling Silver Golf Putter(!) How to take off prev. owner's name?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jan 6, 2021.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

C'mon....Dad can't golf anymore.....let's put his clubs out to the thrift store so someone else can make use of them...........

I'd like to see the rest of the set !!!!!:hungry::hungry::hungry:

kyratango, judy, reader and 1 other person like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Probably something just like that.

Debora

James Conrad likes this.
  3. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah! leave it to Deb to cloudy up the mood!:p

4. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

Right???? I just learned about looking for gold belt buckles in the belts dept.

judy and samuelcaulfield1 like this.
  5. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Dang! You’re thrift stores just put all the good stuff out don’t they? I’ve spent a fair amount of time thrift hunting and don’t come up with barely anything on the level you do. It’s once in a blue moon, you seem to come up with great stuff every week. Do you go in the morning? Either the stuff never hits the shelf here or I just don’t get there at the right time.

judy likes this.
  6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

J Dagger, aaroncab and judy like this.
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Possibly passing along a gift they didn't realize that it was sterling, much less Tiffany. People from my mother's generation didn't scour for marks before donating things, etc. Maybe one of those "For the man who has everything" gifts. Would you display it on the wall?? You wouldn't actually use it to golf, right? I could easily see someone donating that just getting rid of excess things, obviously with no idea what was what.

That said, I would LOVE to have found it, lol. Not that you would ever melt it down, but I bet even the scrap value would be nothing to sneeze at.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    James Conrad and judy like this.
  8. komokwa

one could certainly use it..

James Conrad and judy like this.
  9. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I go there 45 min - 1 hour before opening to be within first 5 people - by 10 min before opening there ALWAYS a line of 25-50 people (and on wed.'s 1/2 price day the line goes around the block! (I've never seen anything like Miami's thrifts; every one has a line before opening)

10. komokwa

ya, but how many have sterling silver golf clubs !!!!!:hilarious::hilarious:

maybe it's time to branch out ...from paintings !! ;););):playful:

judy and James Conrad like this.
  11. James Conrad

I've never been to a thrift store so I don't really know about branching out!:oops:
    Seems to me though that thrifts in a retirement area would have better stuff than your run of the mill places for obvious reasons.
    @journeymagazine is in Miami Florida?, PRIME territory I would guess.

judy, komokwa and aaroncab like this.
  12. komokwa

specially for golf clubs...........:hilarious::hilarious:

James Conrad likes this.
  13. James Conrad

Indeed, especially for Golf clubs.
    BTW, the putter journey found is called a "Bulls Eye" putter and could absolutely be used on the golf course although I doubt you would want to.
    It's a rather famous putter developed in the 1940s and has won Major Championships on tour, including Johnny Miller's final round 63 in the 1973 US Open at Oakmont in Pennsylvania.

judy likes this.
  14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I don’t really want to rain on anyone’s parade, but did anyone READ that TIFFANY logo....which is rather SLOPPILY done..... I certainly HOPE for Journey’s sake it’s legit, but before investing anything in it.....get it checked out!!!!!

15. James Conrad

Yes! I did notice the double Y and & but just assumed it was a bad photo?
    Besides the thread has moved into more important areas, like talking GOLF!:p

charlie cheswick, judy and komokwa like this.
  16. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

LOL

judy, komokwa and James Conrad like this.
  17. komokwa

i believe i have one of those in the garage..

18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Was there another Tiffany golf club on these boards a long time ago? I know I've seen one, but it might have been the eBay boards.

19. James Conrad

judy, komokwa and moreotherstuff like this.
  20. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I always look and only find sewn-in brass, if that good. I did score a sterling set twice, but never gold. I have a gold one though; it was my dad's and it's going nowhere.

My honey holes used to be senior center thrifts, the ones on site. They stopped letting outsiders in well before Covid; some jerks were going in and ruining things for the rest of us.

James Conrad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted