Featured Thrift Store Find - Tub of old dolls; 1 says Bruj 13; help with others please

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jun 5, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I bought a plastic tun of dolls at my local thrift store today including 3 old cloth/sock mammy dolls, a 1940's chimp bellboy, a limited edition Ninotschka doll by Rotraut Schrott and the 3 below - including 1 that says BRUJ 13

Can anyone tell who made the other 2? (1 has the letters K R separated by what looks like a pentagram or chinese checkers board!)
    Finally, can anyone tell me if they are real or copies (looking up Bruj 13 doll on eBay has more listings titled reproduction than real ones!) - 2 have wigs that say Made in Philippines that make me worried that they are newer/copies (but 1 of those have a dress that was made in Italy, so maybe the wigs are after market purchases?)

Thank you for any help!

TOY DOLL ANTIQUE 1AA BRUJ.jpg TOY DOLL ANTIQUE 2BAA BRUJ.jpg
    TOY DOLL ANTIQUE 4AA CLEO 1AA.jpg

TOY DOLL ANTIQUE 7AA JOINTED 1BAA.jpg TOY DOLL ANTIQUE 7AA JOINTED 1BAB.jpg TOY DOLL ANTIQUE 4AA CLEO 1AA.jpg
    TOY DOLL ANTIQUE 4AA CLEO 3AA.jpg

BELOW ARE THE BLACK CLOTH/SOCK DOLLS+ THE NINOTSCHKA DOLL & THE COOL 1940's/1950"s CHIMP BELLBOY
    (PS - there was also a shaggy black teddy bear w/glasses + a 3" miniature doll in bottom of tub!)

TOY DOLL ALL AMERICAN GIRL DOLL 1AA.jpg TOY DOLL BLACK MAMMY A GROUP 1AA.jpg TOY DOLL BLACK MAMMY SOCK DOLL 3AA.jpg

judy, Figtree3, ulilwitch and 2 others like this.
  2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

NICE Score, fer shure!
    Plenty of value there, especially if the tub-full was appropriately priced.

judy and ulilwitch like this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

4. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

Oh my, you are so lucky! They are just beautiful! I believe the BRU is BRU Jne13. I don't know if it is original or not. I looked at it but don't know enough about reproductions to say. Also one reads Simon & Halbig.

judy, Figtree3 and BoudiccaJones like this.
  5. journeymagazine

Here are a few more of the chimp bellboy; my favorite of them all (it's a guy thing I guess!)
    The large ones shown + 1st below were $20 each & the tub with the others was $50 for all - fair price I think because the limited edition Ninotschka doll is worth $100 alone and if the K & R doll is the one say_it_slowly found & is like this one I found - then even better!
    26" / 66cm K * R SIMON & HALBIG ANTIQUE DOLL, BISQUE DOLL, DRESSED DOLL | eBay

ANd the monster doll I found out is called a Naughi Naugahyde doll and worth about $100 also - it's the black cloth dolls & the 2nd one in first photos that I am hoping will be the profit!

TOY DOLL CHIMP BELLBOY 2AA.jpg TOY DOLL MINIATURE PAIR 1AA.jpg TOY DOLL MINIATURE PAIR 3AA.jpg TOY DOLL NAUGA NAUGAHYDE MONSTER 1AA.jpg

judy, Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  6. journeymagazine

That's the one say_it_slowly said is K&R Kammer Reinhardt - if it is & real...well look what this one sold for!!
    26" / 66cm K * R SIMON & HALBIG ANTIQUE DOLL, BISQUE DOLL, DRESSED DOLL | eBay

judy, Figtree3 and ulilwitch like this.
  7. journeymagazine

judy likes this.
  8. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

I had a purple sparkle Nauga Monster about ten years ago, sold on eBay for over $800. The Nauga Monster was a promotional item for Uniroyal Naugahyde.
    AA642541-F215-4418-B29F-C36492D1CDB2.jpeg

judy, Figtree3, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Isn’t @judy the one or one of the ones we want to tag??

10. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

My usual preface: not my forte

But they look a bit off to me, could be just that they have new wigs & what look like new bodies. The back of their heads look better than the overall picture, though.

I always heard that most antique dolls are whiter with painted on blush etc than repros which are generally pinker.
    I only have genuine ones so no idea if this is true or not.

I have to say the facial painting on all of them looks wrong to me for antique. ( However, my main area of interest is English vinyl fashion dolls so again, am no expert. )

The small rubber one is probably a German Ari, should have a triangle on its back with ARI written above it. xx

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto, but I know far less about dolls than you do.

kyratango, judy and BoudiccaJones like this.
  12. BoudiccaJones

The more I look the worse the painting appears.
    Even repros have value so not going to be a loss anyway but I am fairly sure these are repops xx

kyratango, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. journeymagazine

They may be - I have less experience than either of you!
    Does anyone know who made the 2nd one? It looks like something..ed and made in spain? beneath it?

judy likes this.
  14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I can't read the mark from your photo, but the 2nd one looks like a fairly recent doll to me. The others do look older, except I agree that it's hard to tell if they are repros.

The first and third dolls could have repainted faces. Especially the first one... if real. The eyebrows and lips on that first one don't appear to be old...

kyratango, BoudiccaJones and judy like this.
  15. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I agree with @BoudiccaJones

From here they look like repros..................

@Any Jewelry .......you know far more than you're giving yourself credit..................

kyratango, Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. judy

judy Well-Known Member

On my way out, so I can't comment on the others..................

kyratango, Figtree3 and BoudiccaJones like this.
  17. BoudiccaJones

Agree, second one does look totally modern in every way

kyratango, Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:kiss:

19. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I think the second one might say Cleò. There do seem to be some dolls for sale with that name, Cleò Faenza made in Italy I think.

kyratango, Figtree3 and BoudiccaJones like this.
  20. BoudiccaJones

Ditto (I mean!!) xxx

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
    kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted