Thrift store finds - Cool & rare space age speakers + help w/signature of space age painting

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jul 5, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Wanted to show off these cool & appears rare space age speakers. They say 'Air Sealed' and are by Lloyds - which is usually a inexpensive electronics brand, but I hooked these to a am/fm receiver and they sound great!
    Anyone seen these before?
    One os missing the rubber 'bumper' on it's foot - I should be able to find something similar, right? (I'll buy 2 sets of 4 to replace all if there's something similar so they'll match.
    Speaking of space age, I found this painting but can't make out the signature - this one I don't think is a factory painting!
    Thanks for any help with painting & I hope you think the speakers are as cool as I do!

MUSIC SPEAKERS LLOYDS 1A_AA.JPG MUSIC SPEAKERS LLOYDS 1A_AAA.JPG MUSIC SPEAKERS LLOYDS 1A_CAA.JPG MUSIC SPEAKERS LLOYDS 1A_DAA.JPG MUSIC SPEAKERS LLOYDS 1A_DAAA.JPG ART PAINTING SCI FI MOON CITYSCAPE BLUE 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING SCI FI MOON CITYSCAPE BLUE 2AA.JPG
    ART PAINTING SCI FI MOON CITYSCAPE BLUE 2AAAA.JPG ART PAINTING SCI FI MOON CITYSCAPE BLUE 4AA.JPG

bercrystal likes this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I had an inexpensive pair of Lloyds in oak boxes that hung from the ceiling on ropes and sounded great in the 1970s! Good score. I would not bother to try to replace anything, let the buyer do it!

pearlsnblume and bercrystal like this.
  3. journeymagazine

Hanging from ceiling definitely a 70s thing!

antidiem and bercrystal like this.
  4. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

The "Air Sealed" refers to these being an acoustic suspension design as opposed to a vented type of enclosure - Sealed acoustic suspension was all the rage in the 60's 70's. Over time the cone surrounds often dry out, or if made out of foam material will disintegrate and they lose their air seal completely. The article I wrote for ARC 16 years ago . . . http://www.antiqueradio.com/Oct06_Hayden_Acoustic.html

Jeff Drum, bercrystal and antidiem like this.
  5. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Nice article. It takes me back - I grew up in a Boston suburb when all the audio innovations were taking place, so all the companies and people you mention are familiar to me. One of my school friends’ dad was one of speaker designers you mention. Crazy speakers around the house and tools in the basement - we used to play with his oscilloscope (don’t think he minded).

Sounds like you are also a vintage audio collector - I have some of all the companies you mention - AR and KLH speakers (even Jantzen) with McIntosh and other tube and early solid state gear far more than I need. Luckily the early speakers have cloth surrounds, so the gaskets don’t disintegrate and my only concern with them is the caps in the crossovers.

So back to OP speakers, these have no appeal to an audio guy. They are not high quality is an understatement. May have some interest to someone who just likes the 70’s look of the cabinets. You can find an identical pair that sold on worthpoint if you want to look up what they sold for.

Drew and bercrystal like this.
  6. journeymagazine

Don't have a subscription to it - I think the cabinets alone are worth the $49 I spent & the fact they sound good - if they don't sell I'll just use them
    PS - Nice article Drew!

bercrystal likes this.
  7. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

'The Boston Sound' as it was known - lots of innovation in the 1950s -70s. I'm a big KLH fan.... Kloss really made hifi affordable... his speakers, radios and modular turntable/radio systems were all wonderful . .. one of the more amazing audio pieces - http://antiqueradio.com/Jun05_Hayden_KLH.html

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
    Jeff Drum likes this.
  8. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Well it's not hard to ask a worthpoint member to look up the price, people do it here all the time. But if you are going to keep and use them anyway, that is probably the best since value and shipping are unlikely to be worth it.

Another interesting article! I don't have any of the rare ones you mention, but I do have one of the Model Twenty-ones in nice working condition. And we have a Tivoli Model One that my wife bought for her own use without me knowing it! Which was fine, since I hadn't found the Model Twenty-one yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted