Featured Thunder agate ?Jadeite ? Hetian seed Jade?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Dreamin_Sqaw, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Dreamin_Sqaw

Dreamin_Sqaw Member

IMG_20180106_174229.jpg _20180106_160812.JPG _20180106_160812.JPG IMG_20180106_174815.jpg IMG_20180106_174731.jpg _20180106_160812.JPG Can anyone help me to identify this necklace? I've looked on line and tried to find anything to compare it to . I have learned that it is very hard to do this on my own.

This is what I know :.
    The lady that left it to me after her passing loved to travel . It was bought while she was on one of many travels. The ticket is still on there as she left it. She never even wore it. It was bought over 30 years ago.
    I can not remember where this trip was for certain. She had been to China , Japan , Mexico , Jerusalem, and the list goes on and on. I've had it for about 5 yrs. Her husband passed 34 yrs before she did. He was a minister and they traveled often with the church. He was with her on a trip and purchase it for her. He was a very devoted man and adored her. If he ever saw anything that he just knew " would look great on MoMA" as he called her. He would get no matter the cost. They were never able to have children so they spoiled each other rotten at every given chance. She left me many items and told me to use any I could to help myself out on a rainy day. I took care of her for a few years and I love her dearly.
    I'm wanting to get these items identified. Any help will be appreciated.

I listed names on the subject line of some items I've been reading about.
    The hetian seed Jade is what I ran across when I added the fact that these look wet or greasy . Amazing to me. I mean just how does that happen ? Amazing.

The second necklace I have that I could use help on I will create another post for. Thanks

Thanks for any help.
    I appreciate you taken the time to focus in on these pics. Took me over an hour to get the setting changed to post them. These are more poor quality than the originals. I can get more in natural daylight tomorrow if that ya better.

judy, kyratango and bobsyouruncle like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the board.

Before even reading what you had written, my first inclination was Mexican onyx.

Then I saw your friend had traveled to Mexico.
    The tag is written in Spanish and translates:

"Artesanias Finals indios verdes" to "Green Indian crafts Finals"

I'm not sure how 85. pesos translates to dollars as the exhange rates would have varied over the years.

Someone else may have a better translation, I used google.

judy, kyratango and bobsyouruncle like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Likely the name of the souvenir shop. Indios Verdes Fine Crafts, with Indios Verdes being a monument in Mexico City.

Debora

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here's information from an on-line guide:

Mercado de Artesanías Finas Indios Verdes, Galería Reforma Norte SA, González Bocanegra 44 (corner of Reforma Norte, near statue of Cuitláhuac, Tlatelolco). Good prices and quality but no bargaining.

Debora

Any Jewelry and bobsyouruncle like this.
  5. Dreamin_Sqaw

Dreamin_Sqaw Member

Thanks Deborah. So far I've only been able to locate one material that has the " wet/greasy/oily " look to you. Im fascinated by that piece.looks all wet but your skin stays dry. Lol guess I don't get out enough lol ... Any thoughts on the other pieces I put on here.

judy likes this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

They sometimes coat onyx with a shellac (or something similar).
    Someone else may know what it actually is.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    judy likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

As from México, onyx is most likely.

Debora

all_fakes and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  8. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Onyx is a chalcedony/agate.etc. the photos look like "Mexican onyx" is travertine which is a type of limestone.

9. clutteredcloset49

Do they coat it to make it shiny?

judy likes this.
  10. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Definitely travertine/Mexican onyx. Sorry, not at all like Hetian jade.

'Indios Verdes' is the nickname of two green oxidized bronze statues of Aztec emperors Itzcoatl and Ahuizotl.
    [​IMG]

judy likes this.
  12. Dreamin_Sqaw

Dreamin_Sqaw Member

Thanks for the welcome and for the input. Glad I've found somewhete

13. Dreamin_Sqaw

Dreamin_Sqaw Member

Many thanks to everyone

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. Dreamin_Sqaw

Dreamin_Sqaw Member

Draft saved Draft deleted