Featured "Tiber" Made in England moriage-type vase has me stumped!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Elen Beattie, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

Hi all, Happy New Year!

On my weekend thrifting adventure I found this vase-picked it up because the moriage/slip design and color intrigued me. It is 7.5"H. It says TIBER, Made in England with a scratched "E" on the base. I can't find anything similar through Google Lens or by researching the name or style. I found the word Tiber associated with Royal Winton, but this is nothing like any of their items. I would really appreciate any help identifying possible maker and age. Thanks as always :)

Image - 2022-01-01T152908.687.jpeg Image - 2022-01-01T152912.298.jpeg Image - 2022-01-01T152919.155.jpeg Image - 2022-01-01T152915.772.jpeg Image - 2022-01-01T152928.967.jpeg

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

3. Elen Beattie

pearlsnblume, Hi2022 and judy like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That started as a plain green vase by Winton. Someone embellished it, probably in the 70s.

kentworld, pearlsnblume, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. Elen Beattie

Really? What an odd thing to do!

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Think string art. It was a Thing.

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  7. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

There appears to be green on the “string“ part… Maybe the decoration is original to the vase?

7F0175E5-A159-44B2-AC31-A4427D25F2B0.jpeg

8. Elen Beattie

Good catch, I'll take a closer look!

pearlsnblume, bluumz and judy like this.
  9. Elen Beattie

Took a closer look with my loupe. You are correct! There are several areas where the green is on the slip decoration and not underneath.

10. Ownedbybear

Oh, OK, I take that back. I've not seen a Winton vase with that weird string.

pearlsnblume, Elen Beattie and judy like this.
  11. Elen Beattie

Me either, it's a strange one!

judy likes this.
  12. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I like it.

Elen Beattie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted