Tiffany & Co. Teaspoons

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MattJ, Dec 3, 2023.

1. MattJ

MattJ New Member

Hi, could anyone give me anymore information on these teaspoons, I.e a date and value.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Matt

Attached Files:

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

00000c.jpg

Pretty sure someone's going to want to see the mark.

kyratango, mirana, Houseful and 3 others like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

kyratango and mirana like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The name Tiffany gives them a little value whereas if it were anyone else,not so much. It was only recently i learned (on here) that Tiffany even did silverplate !

Aquitaine and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the holder may fetch more than the spoons !!

7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

I don't have the knowledge or the courage to buy plate for resale.Unless it's Christofle it's an extremely dangerous investment-like speculating in Thai Bronze Flatware in the 70's !
    I see some insanely beautiful Victorian plate out there,but sadly,all investors want is coin of the realm-solid silver.

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

To ME, the 'Replacements' is VERY similar, and maybe just because it looks like a newer version of @MattJ's..........but I don't know that for fact.....or, maybe just because one is Plate & one is Sterling?!

MAYBE MATCH.jpg

cxgirl and moreotherstuff like this.
  9. MattJ

MattJ New Member

Thank you so much for your replies. I am a complete novice so have no idea what I'm doing! But I can't seem to find any marks on them so I assume they are plate. There is a mark on the bottom of the handle but I assumed this was the Tiffany & co. stamp.
    Thank you @Debora for your detective work. They look like an identical design. Not to ask a glaringly obvious question but does this mean they were made in 1889? If so they may have belonged to my great grandparents. Maybe a wedding gift. It amazes me how much attention people put into cutlery. My cutlery drawer is a mishmash of different items acquired over the years from various houses!

Thanks again, I'm looking forward to learning more from this forum

Matt

Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Would/could you post a photograph of what you assumed was the Tiffany mark? The 1889 date would be an introduction date but a popular pattern would be sold for years after. They could have been a wedding gift. As they are monogramed, you should be able to make an educated guess.

Debora

mirana likes this.
  11. MattJ

MattJ New Member

Oh I see, that's a monogram. Of course! I assumed it was a kind of Tiffany brand stamp. See, I told you I am a complete novive. I can't really make out the letters though. My grandparents surname was Yerbury so I guess that could be a 'Y'?

On the reverse of the handle it says Tiffany & Co. EP which I take it means, electro plated or something?

Picture attached of the monogram for anyone with a keen eye..

Attached Files:

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

For the future... Correct orientation. Brighter light. Plain background.

Debora

mirana and MattJ like this.
  13. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Yes, the EP means electro plated. The patent date in 1889 only applies to the registration of the pattern. The specific items could have been made any time after that.

mirana and MattJ like this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That is not a "Y".

Debora

imresizer-1701701011866 2.jpg

15. Bakersgma

Looks like an H to me.

16. Bakersgma

17. MattJ

MattJ New Member

Ah interesting. Well this forum is a "font" of information! Not sure where the H comes from, my grandparents names were Kathleen and Jack!

kyratango likes this.
  18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Wouldn't your grandparents be too late a generation to have owned those pieces?

Debora

19. MattJ

MattJ New Member

Ah my grandads christened name was Herbert but he went by Jack according to my brother.
    Yes that's true, it could be great grandparents. My dad did some family tree stuff before he passed away last year so I'll try and dig out his information

20. Bakersgma

The single letter monogram like this is normally for a surname. Especially when the same letter appears on multiple pieces in a set.

mirana and johnnycb09 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted