Featured Tiffany Glass ABP Bowl, Need Help with Maker

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, Apr 9, 2020.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I recently purchased this bowl. It came in a felt bag with a Tiffany label on it. The bag fits the bowl perfectly and has clearly been stored in it for a long time. The bag has taken the shape of the bowl.

So I'm assuming that Tiffany was the retailer, but who made the bowl? Is it late period ABP? Maybe Steuben? There are no marks on the bowl at all. It measures 8 3/4" in diameter and 2 1/2" high. It has a turned under edge (flip bowl?). Any help is appreciated. TIA!

DSCF6039.jpg DSCF6040.jpg DSCF6042.jpg DSCF6043.jpg DSCF6048.jpg DSCF6050.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Have you examined it for a signature?

Debora

Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I looked it over carefully and there is no signature, just surface scratches on the bottom from wear.

Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd be interested to see what the glass people have to say about your bowl. To my eye, not as old as the bag.

Debora

Fid and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

The cutting is NOT Tiffany wares. It's not well enough executed.

judy, Fid and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

still a nice bowl though...

ola402 and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Personally, I think someone used a Tiffany silver tarnish proof bag to store and protect the bowl.
    Style wise, the bowl looks 1930ish, but I'm not positive it is. Does the bowl refract light? Might be European lead crystal, so later 1960s-80s.

8. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

I think I am seeing some unpolished areas a hallmark of the European production.

9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your comments. Cluttered,, I don't know what refract light means. What I can say is that the glass does not glow yellow, and it is quite heavy like it might be lead crystal. It has considerable base wear. So maybe it's European crystal? I think it's older than 60s.

I intend to keep it for awhile to see if it grows on me.

I'm surprised that didn't occur to me as well since it seems so logical. Although wherever the bag came from, the bowl has been in it for awhile.

Thanks, good to know. But, not to argue the point, couldn't Tiffany have sold a bowl like this, just in their role as a retailer?

Sorry I didn't come back in sooner. Have had trouble sleeping lately (I have covidinsomnia) and took 2 Tylenol PM last night and just fell out right after I posted this.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Yes, there are unpolished areas in the flower petals. So European crystal then.

11. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

While not specific to this inquiry just thought I would add ...I am by no means a glass expert..but as I recall from studying ABCG..there were some companies that did have some patterns with some areas of either unpolished or "low" polished areas. Sinclaire called it "silver threads" , I believe.

ola402 and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

It means that when glass is held to sunlight - light shines through the glass and breaks into colors of the rainbow.

Yes, it's possible, but just because it is in a Tiffany felt bag does not make it so.

You are not alone.
    There are many of us suffering from the same thing. I think depression is going to be the next outbreak.

ola402 likes this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Just to reiterate... The bowl and the bag don't appear to be from the same era. The bag has what I'd think to be an Edwardian logo. The bowl appears to be much more recent in sensibility. (Caveat: Glassware isn't an area of my knowledge.) And, of course, the bag itself is collectible. A browse through the Tiffany Blue Books might be helpful to prove/disprove its source.

Debora

clutteredcloset49 and ola402 like this.
  14. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

No kidding!! Who'da thought that, I guess there's a collector for just about everything. Are the Tiffany Blue Books on line? I like to look through books with pretty things in them.

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

16. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

LOL! I found the bag's selling price of $21 using Flipper Tools. Wow, for an old bag.

17. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

What information are you hoping to find? The old Tiffany blue books have no illustrations, basically just hundreds of pages describing the wide variety of items they offered, with some general groupings and price ranges. Can show a page or two a bit later, and I have Carpenter's 'Tiffany Silver', along with several others, mostly Loring's books, but can't recall any addressing the flannel (not felt or silver-cloth) bags, and don't know if anyone has researched them, but I've seen the early 20th century bags in cream, green and brown, the blue bags seem to have been later than the others...

~Cheryl

clutteredcloset49 and Cherryhill like this.
  18. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

19. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I have a MUCH, MUCH larger rectangular VERY similar TIFFANY bag holding a huge silver tray......I personally don't think your bag relates to the lovely bowl other than being a nice, soft, well fitting storage bag!!!

20. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

From the 1908 Blue Book (kinda disappointing, huh?):

3102020223325.jpg

3102020224038.jpg

310202022339.jpg

~Cheryl

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted