Featured Tiffany Lamp Sets New Record

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by James Conrad, Jul 20, 2021.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Rago Arts and Auction had an Early 20th Century Design sale in May, this lamp set a new world record for a Tiffany lamp at 3.75 million USD. YIKES! I am not a lamp person but this one caught my eye!
    On the furniture front, lots of period Mission by Stickley, Limbert & Roycroft.
    Quite a bit of glass/vases as well if you are into that.
    One of the better sales I have seen for early 20th century objects.
    https://www.ragoarts.com/auctions/2021/05/early-20th-century-design

"Dandelion" table lamp C. 1900

lamp.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  2. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

I just spent time drooling over the auction link. Wow..some nice pieces. Thanks for sharing.

3. Pattywithay

Pattywithay Well-Known Member

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Reading the title I thought Tiffany Lamp was an athlete, who had just broken the 100m barrier or a long jumper:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

6. James Conrad

Not all the stuff was high priced, saw some pieces priced in the hundreds. Just goes to show though, QUALITY SELLS, doesn't matter if it's the 17th or 20th century.
    I guess, is not a lamp person but that number made me pause........... and take a look-see.:watching:

judy, pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  7. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Very cool and astonishing. Yes,Thanks for sharing

judy, pearlsnblume and James Conrad like this.
  8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

That is a truly beautiful work of art.

My only comments about the sold price are obviously there were multiple folks who thought the same as I do & go try to find another one.

judy, pearlsnblume and James Conrad like this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The high estimate on that lamp was $75K. I wonder who the bidders were.

Tanya, judy, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  10. James Conrad

Thing is, Tiffany lamps were not very expensive (relatively speaking) and fell out of fashion in the early 1900s, they ceased production of lamps altogether in 1913.

The rather famous Pond Lily lamp below, for example, sold for $3,372,500 at Christie’s in New York in December 2018. Made by Tiffany Studios in the early 1900s, it was one of the costliest and rarest creations produced by the company, and retailed at $400.
    ( about 12k in today's dollars). The lamp is one of only 14 thought to exist — five of which are in museum collections, including the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

"Pond Lily" table lamp C. 1903

tiffany-pond-lilly-lamp-2400.jpg

11. James Conrad

Lamp people of course, I don't know any but it's obvious they are out there and, museums for sure bid on that "Dandelion Lamp".

12. James Conrad

Bottom line to me on these hideous numbers for lamps is, quality sells no matter the era and, it's impossible to overstate the value of a trained eye.

judy, pearlsnblume and Ghopper1924 like this.
  13. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Great lamp, but not the nicest Tiffany IMO. Shows you what I know.

14. James Conrad

Yeah, I hear you, I know nothing about lamps except what I read which is very little, obviously, there are people who know a great deal about them and are willing to pay big bucks. I pretty much use lamps for light so I must be missing something!:confused:
    I notice the forum doesn't have a lamp/light fixture category so I am guessing it's a very small group of people who collect them?

judy, pearlsnblume and Ghopper1924 like this.
  15. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

About 10 years ago a Tiffany exhibit came to my city's art museum. The lamps were really astonishing. I'll never forget it.

Draft saved Draft deleted