tight woven basket

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by billyd3us, Jun 25, 2018.

1. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

I got 2 of these today, tight woven baskets. Anyone know where they came from ?

Thank You

Billy 001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks like a rattan dish from the island of Lombok, Indonesia.

3. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

Cool, I will check that out

4. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Note that thousands of different patterns and styles of baskets are made on Lombok, so you may have to wade through many pages of search results, and there are a great many importers of the baskets also. But with patience you should be able to find some that are comparable.
    The triangle patterns are one characteristic of that island; often woven in two different colors of rattan. Another very common Lombok style has wooden inserts in top and bottom.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I didn't want to go into that before, because it would result in one of my endless stories, but here it goes.;)
    Those elongated triangles are called tumpal. If you look closely at Javanese influenced art, you see them everywhere.
    Lombok was one of the colonies of the medieval East Javanese Majapahit empire, just like neighbouring Bali, that is how tumpal imagery came to Lombok. The Majapahit empire covered most of Southeast Asia.
    Tumpals symbolize the heaven and earth connection, and used to be reserved for royalty and divinity. Those are essentially the same, because royalty was considered divine. Kings were often seen as incarnations of Shiva or Vishnu.
    Indonesian royalty is still regarded as having a special connection with the spiritual world, and have spiritual and ethical responsibilities because of that.

Draft saved Draft deleted