Featured Time for photos - a 4 day polishing project finished!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Feb 7, 2022.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Good evening everyone!

This took just a weeee bit longer than I originally expected, but I get to show you the finished results of a polishing project that was 4 days long. Recently I acquired a lovely pair of silver candlestick holders. I didn't get them cheap like most of my finds, but I also couldn't resist the purchase. Here are the 'before-photos' of what they looked like prior to my marathon polishing session:

BEFORE.png BEFORE2.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

And here's the after photos. I actually did record a short video of some of the polishing, but haven't quite mastered getting it uploaded online...Perhaps I can figure it out later and upload it:

DSC_0337.JPG

DSC_0338.JPG

DSC_0342.JPG

DSC_0341.JPG

DSC_0343.JPG

DSC_0344.JPG

IMG_3181.jpg

IMG_3182.jpg

IMG_3183.jpg

IMG_3184.jpg

Lucille.b, cxgirl, Born2it and 18 others like this.
  4. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Awesome job!! That's quite an amazing difference.

5. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Nice work, brother Nate! That looks like a tedious endeavor.

6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Beautiful job Mr Nate, how many Q-tips did you go through on this :smuggrin:

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Bless your Heart, Nate...you have a Penchant for Polishing!!!!:singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing:
    AWESOME JOB!! Something I learned to HATE!!! (Although I loved how it looked when it was all done....by someone ELSE, of course!!!)

8. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Hopefully this video works! Sorry for the watermark, it's the best I could do with free software solutions:

9. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Certainly hundreds.... :) :) :)

10. komokwa

11. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

12. komokwa

I am not in possession of the vast amount of hubris , required to question your assertions regarding silver !!:nailbiting::nailbiting::facepalm:

:):inpain:

your sticks deserve special candles...:happy:

13. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

You're fast! ;)

14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Great job as always Nate.:woot:
    Yes, Austro-Hungarian marks from ca 1700 onward are easy to read, the date reads from left-right, top-bottom. The A is for the Vienna assay office, and it has 13 inside the Viennese cross.:)

Even in German I can only find T&Co identified as Tiffany.:confused: If these were sold by Tiffany, surely they would have the full Tiffany & Co retailer's marks?
    Maybe someone else finds the right ID of T&Co.

15. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I am in awe of your polishing skills.
    You are dedicated for sure.

16. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Beautiful pieces and polishing. I have seen people use a Dremel for polishing, I've never tried it. Have any of you?

cxgirl, MrNate and pearlsnblume like this.
  17. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I will tell on myself and say I did experiment with it. Let me start my saying I don’t recommend what I tried. I had a particularly challenging tarnish on a set of flatware. So what I tried was to stick q-tips cut at the center and put them on the end of a dremel with silver polish. Here’s what I figured out after just one spoon:

-It was unavoidable that every now and then the metal part of the dremel would come in contact with the silver, leaving a scrape.

-I also found the speed of the rotation heated up the polish and the silver, I got some pretty unimpressive swirl marks that were permanent.

I concluded that the technique may speed up the process but not the quality of the work, so I abandoned the technique quickly.

Gus Tuason, cxgirl, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  18. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Interesting. Thank you for sharing.

MrNate and cxgirl like this.
  19. komokwa

there are Dremel tools with variable speeds.....might those work?

MrNate likes this.
  20. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Those are stunning Mr Nate:) Once again your dedication to polishing brings out the beauty of items that are over 150 years old, so nice to see:)

MrNate, komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted