Featured Tin business card

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by prestoncohunter, Aug 2, 2019.

1. prestoncohunter

prestoncohunter Well-Known Member

Anyone have a clue of approximate age of this thing. No phone number which makes me think it pre-dates phones being common. Keyser was incorporated in 1874. The clothing in the art work on the back makes me think maybe 1890's.

All thoughts are appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KSW, pearlsnblume, judy and 2 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Harry P Adams born about 1875 was managing the restaurant from sometime between 1900 and 1910 until after 1930. (in 1910 his occupation in the census was listed as carpenter.) I would expect that card to be in that first decade.

KSW, patd8643, Christmasjoy and 8 others like this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The look of the woman's hair and hat, and the "puffer pigeon" look of the blouse, are more reminiscent of 1900-1910, I think.

Did a little searching and haven't found anything about that restaurant. Maybe trying to research the owner in the U.S. Census would bring some clarity?

[Whoops, as I was typing @Bakersgma posted!]

KSW, patd8643, judy and 5 others like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

5. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Unrelated to the piece, but related to Harry P's dad:
    temp02.jpg

6. prestoncohunter

Keyser is/was a railroad town.

WOW, thanks to all on the great information. My guess on age doesn't appear to be very far off.

7. prestoncohunter

Many a coal train went thru Keyser but most of that was coal mined in the more western, central part of WV. At one time Keyser had a large yard and mechanics shop with round table, ect. Now the trains just pass thru though coal is still hauled on the same tracks and there is still a switching yard there.

My wife grew up in Keyser as did her parents, her grandfather moved to Keyser with the railroad around 1905 to 1910.

The restaurant was long gone before my wife was born and sadly her mother has Alzheimer's and questions about things like just confuse her even more.

8. Jivvy

Sorting newspaper clippings, there were a number of "B&O" restaurants in W VA and 95% of references are "help wanted" ads. The restaurant in Clarksburg was also open "day and night," but everything I found suggested it was "just a restaurant."

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I was wondering whether they were like the Howard Johnson's restaurants at rest stops on the interstates. Must have been the only place around open day & night.

i need help and Figtree3 like this.
  10. prestoncohunter

Wonder if it was owned by the railroad. Sort of like a company store type thing, about the only place around to eat at odd hours so the company ended up getting part of the paycheck back from the employee.

i need help and Figtree3 like this.
  11. Bakersgma

I also have significant ancestry in WVA, but not directly in the railroads or mining. Most of my great aunts and uncles left either around the Civil War or by 1900. However, because I have built a substantial family tree to find all these people and their descendants, I done a heck of a lot of research into those who stuck around.

12. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

13. Bakersgma

No it was not, or at least not the employer's name Harry P listed on this WWI draft registration form. May have been a subsidiary just for the restaurants.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  14. Jivvy

I do, too... but I think you and I have already done the "hey are we related, no I don't think so" dance. :joyful:

15. Bakersgma

Yup. tee hee.

The handwriting on Harry's draft card is not spectacular, best I can make out is Buylin (or Buglin) Landstreet Co. of Kempton, WVA. Interesting point is that he was listed as "working on own account" as a restaurant manager in 1910. Maybe the restaurant changed hands between then and 1917?

16. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Figtree3 and Jivvy like this.
  17. prestoncohunter

Wow lots of good info. Can't get to the fluteman site, it gets flagged as a virus for some reason on our company filters.

Would be interesting to see what kind of value it has. Not that we would ever sell due to my wife's father and grandfather both being lifelong railroaders and being from Keyser.

18. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

He says his name is Fred Riley and that Keyser is his hometown if that helps. Maybe this link will work as it doesn't have the pop-up sign in.

http://fluteman70.tripod.com/fredrileysrailroadpage/id1.html

19. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

The main line of the B&O was one of the boundaries of the family farm where I was raised. Unrelated but in the 40s and 50s I remember hauling over to the tracks to watch the trains, wave at the conductors and watch them go by the limemarle pit.

The Union had to control this line to get supplies to troops on the western front. I can remember my Grandfather cussing when a canon ball took the edge off his plow!

Just down the road maybe 20 miles was a rail yard with turn table, an engine repair shop and several little restaurants probably just like this one.
    Patd

Draft saved Draft deleted