Tin glazed pottery jug

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by blooey, Oct 19, 2019.

1. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Had this jug for a while, unmarked and a bit beat up ..stands about 10" high.

Unusual decoration, also the blue isn't underglaze, but decorated over the glaze.

Any ideas of origin on this one, folks? I think the design is probably the key to where it was made, can't be the only thing in this pattern, right?

jug.jpg

jug_base.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

shameless bump

3. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

So my few cents, if even worth that, are that although the decoration style seems more german blue onion, the bottom and construction look more mexican. Your pointer on the mexican pitcher I just posted looks like it reflects back here! The only pieces I have with a similar wiped redware bottom are most likely mexican, so I would guess this is also?

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Frustrating isn't it? For what it's worth I browsed through the only book I have on Mexican pottery, Maiolica Olé Spanish and Mexican Decorative Traditions by Lister & Lister. Of course they don't show bases so I was looking for decorative elements and can't say they looked very similar. Books and collections can be steered by many things so the lack really doesn't mean anything.

I found a site that I remembered that used to have lots of photos and info on Mexican and Spanish pottery but they seem to have re-vamped and don't have so many anymore. Here is the link though.
    https://colonialarts.com/collections/pottery?page=1

What I did seem to find when I went to look for that site online is that some of the decorative elements looked a bit like some Montelupo pottery. This isn't a verified piece but is sort of what I mean.

https://www.catawiki.com/l/33390833-montelupo-fiorentino-albarello-polychrome-majolica

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted