Tin type case maker? Need help with ID

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by spartcom5, Jan 25, 2020.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Saw this beautiful tintype of a lady outdoors on a bench for $30. I may get it but before I wanted to try and figure out who made the case. I see a name of either E. GODDING OR E. CODDING? My preliminary searching came up with nothing... any ideas
    20200125_161657.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, please be kind enough to post a photograph of the entire item, not just a close-up of the signature. That will help us help you.

Debora

komokwa likes this.
  3. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Edgar Codding possibly.

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. spartcom5

Had to size it down to fit the file limit Edgar Codding seems like a strong possibilty!! Not a huge fan of the corrosion towards the bottom. I wonder if that metal will break when I lift it out to dust it off?
    20200125_161546_resized.jpg

Figtree3, komokwa and antidiem like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Debora

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Could this be he? Your image is quite a bit outside this date range. But certainly he would have been in trade for longer than a 3-year period.

Debora

Codding, E. (Edgar)

Listed as an ambrotypist. In 1858-1859 he was listed on Main Street, Galesburg, Ill. Identification stamped on the brass mat of an image. Probably the same as "Edgar Codding", noted as an ambrotypist on Morgan Street, Boonville, Mo., 1860. May have operated earlier, as a daguerreotype exists stamped "E. Codding" on brass mat.

http://craigcamera.com/dag/

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

So far looks like F CODDING, inverted, BUT could be an E.......I'll go back and double check..........
    20200125_161657-2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Used enhancement & enlarging Program......Looks more like an E now....
    X320200125_161657 copy-edit.jpg

BTW, can you tell if there is any writing below the stamped signature....down in the green.....it kind of looks like it, but may just be the decoration....

10. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Interesting. The style of the brass mat looks like the first half of the 1860s. But the costume she is wearing looks more like late 19th century - with the shirtwaist blouse and simple skirt (think Gibson Girl). I wonder if it is a confection of some sort?
    This site has good information on dating historic photographs, including this "case study" of a tintype in a similarly ornate case:
    http://www.phototree.com/case_071513.htm

Bakersgma and Figtree3 like this.
  11. spartcom5

I do believe that this probably is an earlier case with a later image...

2manybooks and Figtree3 like this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Me, too. Was just going to say that. Many cases are holding images that were replaced. It can't be assumed they are from the same period of time.

2manybooks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted