Featured Tiny "Intaglio Flower" bowl, help please.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by lvetterli, Feb 20, 2024.

1. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

Here I am again with my next project. A little iridescent marigold bowl, 4" across the corners and 1 1/4" high, DDoty tells me it's called "Intaglio Flower" or "Wild Rose Wreath" thought to be made by Westmoreland. Once again, Ebay and Google lens are getting me squat. I have no idea how to price this thing.

20240220_172612.jpg 20240220_172646.jpg 20240220_172659.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Linda
    Edited to say "Souvenir" is painted on one edge.

2. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

How pretty and tiny! That looks opalescent.

Carnival Glass Heaven site calls it miniature intaglio flower, a tiny almond or nut cup. Can be found round or squared off.
    They picture a blue, round cup on their site.
    http://carnivalheaven.com/carnivalglass105/id82.htm
    Screenshot_20240220-182927~2.png

3. lvetterli

Thank you, @LauraGarnet02 That validates Doty. I will keep looking for comparables. And, yes, it's opalescent not iridescent. I hate my brain.

Thanks! Linda

johnnycb09 and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  4. LauraGarnet02

Figtree3, johnnycb09 and komokwa like this.
  5. lvetterli

REALLY! Any suggestions on where to go with it? I contacted Seeck Auctions several years ago as I have a Fenton piece that's an uncommon one but they are no longer doing their consignment sales, just collections. I have that in a locked display case at a mall in Iowa. Oh, my! When I first researched this, I found a couple solds that were way better than I would have expected but I wrapped it and set it aside, just unpacked it again today.
    Any advice gladly received!

Linda

komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
  6. LauraGarnet02

Hopefully someone with Worthpoint account will look at this for you.
    WESTMORELAND GLASS INTAGLIO FLOWER PEACH OPALESCENT RUFFLED MINIATURE BOWL
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/westmoreland-glass-intaglio-flower-3788546205

EDIT: here's another one that description sounds like it's the same but no pictures.
    MINIATURE INTAGLIO FLOWER PEACH OPALESCENT CARNIVAL GLASS SMALL BOWL OR DISH
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/miniature-intaglio-flower-peach-507831918
    Search words Westmoreland miniature intaglio:
    https://www.worthpoint.com/inventory/search?categories=&query=Westmoreland+miniature+intaglio

Last edited: Feb 20, 2024
    Figtree3 and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

8. lvetterli

Another surprise! Older than I would have expected!
    @Kronos Could you do your magic again for me? Bless you for your generosity!

Linda

komokwa, johnnycb09 and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  9. lvetterli

And thank you @TallCakes, you are too good!

Linda

johnnycb09 and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  10. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

$95.00 (2021)
    $34.99 (2014)

11. LauraGarnet02

Oh my. That's a letdown after the Doty archive of a 2010 $1,000 selling price.

komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
  12. lvetterli

Thank you @Kronos

Definitely buzzkill! But, still, $95 is not bupkis. I'm okay with it.

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Good show all & light speed fast answers-4 star service !

lvetterli likes this.
  14. lvetterli

That's why we all know this is the very best place and people!

:):):)
    Linda

komokwa likes this.
  15. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

That's a beautiful piece lvett.I'd think it'd be worth a bit more,but then I'm partial to iridescent 'aurene' reminiscent glass.
    PS-This is def knowledge central.

16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The 2010 auction was probably this one (catalog, opens as a pdf)
    https://www.hookedoncarnival.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/2010.10.02-Seeck.pdf

The Google preview for this says "Miniature Intaglio almond cup - peach opal - only one I know of, a top ..." -- Those words are probably in the document but this is the type of pdf where the "find in page" command doesn't work. And I didn't feel like scanning all of the pages. In any case, the prices that were bid don't show up here, so the main thing is to know that it was billed as the "only one I know of" by the auctioneer. And it sounds like a major collection of carnival glass was auctioned.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  17. LauraGarnet02

I woke up in the wee hours of the morning last night and realized that I had been looking at and quoting the $1000 selling price of the almond cup with the stem. Not the little bowl/basket. :oops: Now I am so embarrassed and I apologize.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
    komokwa and Figtree3 like this.
  18. LauraGarnet02

Did you look at it enough to determine if there are pictures in that PDF file or just text? If there are pictures I would click the link and download it, but don't want it otherwise.

Figtree3 likes this.
  19. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It does have some pictures in it, but not for everything. The pictures are numbered and you have to match the number to the list to see which one it is. I did look at a few of the pictures and the numbers and none of them were that item. Some are just taken from above the item looking down, so it's kind of hard to tell. Or at least for me it was.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  20. lvetterli

You folks are the best! Unless you are looking to improve your own knowledge of this piece, I'm very happy with what I know. I always try to do my research before I come asking for help. I think at this point we know almost everything available about this. In the beginning I figured it was not much of anything so what we've learned is great!
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you all!

Linda

Figtree3, komokwa and LauraGarnet02 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted