Tiny jewelry accessory identification

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by dcfirebottle, May 29, 2020.

1. dcfirebottle

dcfirebottle Active Member

Found at the bottom of an inherited jewelry box. It has the mark of Riker bros. Has a 14k mark underneath that. Way too small to photograph. On the other side is what I think is an enamel little flower. Looked up RB and found out they used that mark from roughly 1864 till they closed in the 1940's. Any ideas on where this might fall into?
    I figure it was once attached to something else like maybe a bracelet? I know they made a lot of those. Maybe a watch? I can see why it came off, it's so fine, (not in quality but size). Also should 14k gold tarnish like that, even if it's been sitting for a hundred years? I know it's nothing valuable but I thought it would be interesting to post.
    All comments welcome and appreciated, even the bad ones.

20200529_055508_resized.jpg 20200529_055426_resized.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

https://www.ganoksin.com/article/gold-jewellery-tarnishing/

3. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I would love to see a much closer photo!

4. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Based on how the base extends beyond the decorative area, I wonder if it could be a collar stud or bachelor button, with the rings added at a later date to turn it into part of a bracelet or pendant?

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

It does look like a button.
    I was going to suggest part of a sweater guard, but realized it's 14K. So I don't think that's what it is.

dcfirebottle and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. dcfirebottle

dcfirebottle Active Member

That's the best I could do with my camera. It's really small. Wonder how they were able to paint it?.. If it can't be ID'd around here, I doubt it ever will be. If I try and sell it, I'll list it as unknown Riker bros gold accessory piece.

Draft saved Draft deleted