Featured Tiny Translucent Stone Figure - Any Thoughts Appreciated

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KikoBlueEyes, Dec 18, 2022.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I found this tiny 2.25 inch tall carved figure in stone. I backlit it with a flashlight so you can see how translucent it is. It has a hole drilled through the top under the top knot, so it must have been a pendant at one time. I think it is Chinese. Any ideas?

thumbnail_IMG_8340.jpg thumbnail_IMG_8342.jpg thumbnail_IMG_8341.jpg thumbnail_IMG_8343.jpg thumbnail_IMG_8344.jpg thumbnail_IMG_8345.jpg thumbnail_IMG_8348.jpg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

He wants to pretend to be old jade. Is he? One of the actual experts might know, but I suspect modern stone with a finish to look sorta-kinda old.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

Could be. I have no idea. I found a couple of larger pieces claiming to be antiques but you know that is He has some interesting details the others didn’t like the side seams of his coat.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A cute little guy, he looks very tactile. Serpentine imo and I agree with evelyb, no great age.
    Doesn't look like a top knot to me, looks like he is wearing one of those traditional Qing dynasty skull caps:

[​IMG]

5. KikoBlueEyes

Yes. That's the cap. It wasn't sold to me as jade, so I had no expectation. Just hoping. Thank you.

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Now that you have both types of stone, you can get acquainted with the look and feel of both. Both are good stones in their own right, and some types of serpentine are quite desirable in Chinese art. But you are probably looking for jade. This little guy will help you spot the difference.:)

7. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. I'm sure he will.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted