Tobey Furniture Company Desk Question

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by OleDad, Nov 12, 2020.

1. OleDad

OleDad New Member

Hello. I am trying to find any information I can about a desk I purchased (pics attached). Unfortunately the person I got it from had stained it. The only thing I can find is the metal plate that has Tobey on it. I also found (not that this means anything) a 1954 red Thomas Jefferson stamp wedged under the metal "coin or stamp" cups inside the middle drawer. I'm trying to get an idea of when it was made, and any other information you may be able to give.

Thank You,

Attached Files:

moreotherstuff likes this.
  2. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi OleDad, and WELCOME to ANTIQUERS! I didn't find much of anything different than Jeff, except that in a Google search an image came up of a very similar desk (NOT IDENTICAL!) by a DIFFERENT maker.....The biggest difference I do see are the legs.....here it is....kinda makes you wonder if Tobey sub-contracted or something!!

SIMILAR TO TOBEY FURN DESK.jpg

4. OleDad

OleDad New Member

Thank You both for responding!! Yeah, I found that desk as well, by North-Western, looks almost exact, but "think" that one has three smaller and two bigger drawers (not sure), but just can't seem to find anything on this Tobey. Like I mentioned, it was stained over, so no luck in finding any markings or anything. Will keep hunting I guess.

Thanks Again, I appreciate your time and efforts!

5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

A handsome walnut Jacobethan Revival desk ca. 1940s. It looks like Tobey had some extra dining room buffets that they converted to desks. Looks pretty nice!

Draft saved Draft deleted