Featured Today's auction: Balinese dancer by Hofker

Discussion in 'Art' started by Any Jewelry, Nov 23, 2021.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

upload_2021-11-23_13-47-27.jpeg

You all know Willem Gerard Hofker, because he is the painter of my avatar picture.;)

This 1938 painting, called "Ni Sadri, Legong Klandis", is expected to fetch a record price for a Hofker painting at today's auction in Middelburg, The Netherlands.
    It has that Hofker mood I love, comtemplative grace in warm tones.

Asian bidders are checking their bank balance as we speak, but many here in the Netherlands hope it will stay in the country as a beautiful example of Dutch colonial art.
    The highest price for a Hofker painting so far was 650,000 euro. Peanuts compared to what some people pay for non-art nowadays, but this is real art and a beauty.

The sitter was a famous young Legong dancer called Ni Sadri, one of Hofker's favourite models.
    She was only allowed to take her sacred headdress out of the temple after Hofker paid an offering to the Gods.

upload_2021-11-23_14-10-9.jpeg

If you would like to know more about the painting, here is the auctioneer's booklet in English, with interesting background information:
    https://zeeuwsveilinghuis.nl/wp-con...ofker-booklet-Ni-Sadri-Zeeuws-Veilinghuis.pdf

And information on the legong dance:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legong

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

What a beautiful painting. I'm curious to see what it will bring. Thanks for sharing, AJ!

3. Any Jewelry

I will let you know. It is all over the news here.

judy, Boland, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

judy and sabre123 like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Such a BEAUTIFUL portrait, @Any Jewelry!! As well as your avatar!!! Thank you for sharing as well!!:happy::happy::happy:

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Wowza! Thx for the update

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Hey she looks just like you!
    Thanks for sharing. The leaflet was well photographed and packed with info.
    Very interesting

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

10. Any Jewelry

It would, but my current avatar has a Javanese style crown, which is closer to my heritage.;) Mind you, I did have a very Balinese girl as my first avatar, my own little dancer, Bali Art Deco.

OK, I'll think about it.:)

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

u change yrs...I'll change mine !!
    just fer......y'know.......kix..

12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I understand why somebody shelled out for that lady.

13. Antique-Lover

Antique-Lover New Member

I was admiring your beautiful Portrait of the Balinese Dancer ("Ni Sadri")
    I decided to do some Editing and to try and improve both images that you had as illustrations --- just to see if I could bring out the beautiful Brush-Strokes of the Artist that are in Original Painting. And here are the results of my humble efforts. I hope you like it.

judy likes this.
  14. Antique-Lover

Antique-Lover New Member

If you can just "Click" on the Arrow --- at the TOP RIGHT-HAND CORNER of you Screen ---(which says... "SHOW in ORIGINAL LOCATION") --- you can see both of these Images in a LARGE Format --- and better appreciate the Rich Details that are in this Painting.

Draft saved Draft deleted