Featured Todays finds- Beads, Concorde Mirror, glass

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Nov 18, 2021.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

A little trip round the charity shops today before they get stripped clean by the dealers selling at the weekly antiques fair tomorrow.
    Some lovely glass beads (loving the stripy ones), pastel Monet necklace and a random plastic green apple just because:wideyed:
    D8FBC775-4ED7-4786-8157-E6C752B26894.jpeg E3526FE3-01D2-48EB-96D8-5FD046883BF1.jpeg 1F7D4EA0-9F52-4DE0-878C-FD5CAE580899.jpeg 24FB4E35-AB5B-4B0D-A0B0-9438F9404FA1.jpeg F7D7E451-8496-4818-852F-1F33DB24B6F5.jpeg
    And a selection pack of little goodies.
    Cool Concorde pin, Flamingo earrings, 9ct Topaz? earrings (50p!), gold washed sterling hoopy ones, a high street store 925 checkerboard necklace and a nice silver tie pin. All cheap as chips.
    6F68D3B6-1CD5-480D-AB3C-C8A706D70C86.jpeg

And this brooch that I’d like to know more about please. Is there a proper name for this mirror glass? It’s got a roll clasp but looks to have some age and is well made for base metal.
    1028FC4E-2E4C-4E42-AC1B-777195BCF18B.jpeg 8A1411AB-732E-45E5-8BEB-D6A82516E5E6.jpeg 825CDDA1-A8CF-4190-BE8E-EC39D9F6952F.jpeg

Thanks for looking, antiques fair tomorrow to see if I can find any gems that the big boys miss:angelic:

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Those stripey ones look Italian again. The apple wants to be American Avon, but I'm not sure who really made it. (and you definitely got the good ones on the earrings - 9K and blue topaz for 50P ... someone was asleep at the switch!)

3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thanks @evelyb30 :)
    The Italians do some really amazing beads don’t they!.
    I don’t usually pick up modern plastic stuff but the apple quite literally threw itself off the hook at me and I thought it was cute.
    I’ve had a few pieces of gold in that shop so it’s always worth a look. They had brass backs so I think they didn’t notice the hallmarks on the posts. They are full hallmarks too.

Houseful, bercrystal and ulilwitch like this.
  4. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

Very pretty.

KSW likes this.
  5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I don't know a name for that mirror glass piece as I've never seen similar. Interesting. Maybe others can help on that one.

Once I saw that Italian glass necklace I just glossed over the rest. Those Italian beads are simply amazing!!! :singing:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    KSW likes this.
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Definitely keepers. A whole £2!

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Think the striped beads everyone covets can truthfully be called Murano. At Christmas time the bead store I used to frequent carried similar in various sizes & colors, making ornaments out of some of the large ones. They were always touted as Murano.

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  8. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Might the mirrored glass brooch be Vauxhall glass?

Bronwen and KSW like this.
  9. Houseful

Bronwen likes this.
  10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Ooh, I don’t know! I’ll do some googling. I’ve got a few broken bits ( :rolleyes: ) with this type of mirrored glass but this is the first intact piece I’ve found. I’ve not gone down the ID of Vauxhall glass yet, on my way….

Bronwen likes this.
  11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

It very much looks like it. Thanks @Houseful.
    Now unfortunately I have to search through my entire hoard for the other bits I’ve got!

Houseful and Bronwen like this.
  12. Houseful

Not that much of the clear mirrored glass around that I can find but yours seems to fit the bill with the faceted top and mirrored flat bases.
    Another nice find :)

Bronwen and KSW like this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think the pin is too new for Vauxhall; that's why I didn't mention it. The same style, but not nearly enough age.

Draft saved Draft deleted