Featured Today's finds in antique fair Glasgow

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by shamster, May 19, 2024.

1. shamster

shamster Well-Known Member

Bought all these for 100 pounds, what do you think? It's a known antique fair so the dealers know what they were selling, hence no surprising bargain, but I found them really cheap as someone who only has ebay to browse again and again. 1.jpg 2.jpg

cxgirl, 808 raver, Houseful and 8 others like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Hope the boxes are sterling. If so, think you did OK.

3. shamster

Yes all fully hallmarked, 1913 & 14:joyful:

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The pocket watch holder is an awesome thing too. The plainer silver box appears to have engraving on it. Initials and Forest-Lodge 1915? Birthday or Christmas gift maybe?

ulilwitch, Bronwen and shamster like this.
  5. shamster

Yes Forest Hill Lodge, plus a W. M. supposing the initials of either the gifter or recipient

cxgirl, ulilwitch and Bronwen like this.
  6. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I think you got some nice things and did well if you intend to keep the things. I bet you could turn a small profit on the boxes on eBay if you wanted. The little dish not sure what it is.

cxgirl and shamster like this.
  7. shamster

Yeah agree! The dish is probably not vintage, it's tagged highland stoneware or sth, made in scotland

cxgirl likes this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think you did well. The silver boxes would be fifty to seventy down here.

cxgirl and shamster like this.
  9. shamster

Indeed! Listed them at 50 on ebay and should sell in one day or two

cxgirl and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful finds sham.:)
    The one with the black lid is a mourning piece, there are collectors of mourning jewellery and small silver, so I hope you added that.

shamster likes this.
  11. shamster

Haha not really listing them though, just picturing how much I could earn if I want :joyful: And really? These tortoiseshell boxes are really common in uk and most of them made pre-1920, i just learnt today they're for mourning! Storing mourning jewellery or photo lockets? Thank you for let me know, wow!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Oops, Covid eyes, I thought it was black lacquer or something like it.:cyclops: It isn't, so not a mourning piece.
    But if it is tortoiseshell, it is piqué work, which is much more valuable.:woot::woot:

Last edited: May 20, 2024
    komokwa and shamster like this.
  13. shamster

haha okay yes I paid 40 pounds for that one and really nice condition!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The tortoiseshell box was probably part of a dressing table set. I have my grandmothers set of brushes, mirror and comb with similar inlay.

I nearly bought a matching box back in the late seventies but it was almost a hundred quid back then!

shamster likes this.
  15. evelyb30

Here, tortoiseshell and silver boxes can only be sold for scrap. It's illegal to sell tortoiseshell, and only scrappers buy it. Which would be a crying shame. I'd rather it was enamel.

shamster and komokwa like this.
  16. shamster

I do found a bigger and prettier one there which might go for 100 lol but for some legal reason I only buy small ones

17. shamster

In uk most sellers would say faux tortoiseshell and unwilling to explain, but 99% of them are real. Still need some license to sell legally. Next time buy some 'plastic' instead

18. evelyb30

I think it's one those things where they really don't care about antique dealers much until they have to.

shamster likes this.
  19. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

Nice collection. This modern attack on all things rare and beautiful from yesteryear is just stupid, I've never seen a convincing fake antique made from real animal products. Does this mean all Boulle antiques can't be sold? I read the other day Coromandel wood will be the next to be made illegal. I have many ivory items or things made with ivory and I refuse to get them licensed, £240 just for some "expert" who has no qualification in the field of exact dating of these items. I know these are antique and so would any person buying them. Why didn't they make the law in this way, "if you are caught selling ivory made after 1947 then the punishment will be X, if you are doubtful then seek expert advice" As things get more rare or go extinct should we really destroy every historic item made from them?

Any Jewelry, shamster and RachelW like this.
  20. shamster

Yeah it's realy just about recycling, and no new kill made.

Last edited: May 21, 2024
    808 raver likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted