Featured Today's Thrift Find - Another Guitar! Help w/Favilla F5 date by Serial Number?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jun 29, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Today was 1/2 price day at the local thrift I go to every day, but today I got there even earlier than usual before it's 9am opening- I arrived at 6:15aml and there was still 3 people in front of me!
    I came earlier than usual because I've been watching this guitar for the last 3-4 days; it's a vintage Favilla F5 that was priced at $199, but this morning I grabbed it for $99! (there was also a new guitar they'd just put out that wasn't 1/2 price; a Ovation Celebrity Deleuze bass guitar for $199. After looking it up on eBay & seeing only 1 has sold I gave to the dejected looking guy who I'd beaten to it - turned his frown upside down!).

2 questions - the Favilli's serial number is 101484; does anyone know what year that makes it?

More importantly, it has a small hole at the bottom center - is that normal?

PS - I think it has it's original case!

Thanks for any help - hope you like this pics of this beautiful guitar!

MUSIC GUITAR FAVILLA F5 1AA.jpg MUSIC GUITAR FAVILLA F5 7DAAA.jpg MUSIC GUITAR FAVILLA F5 7CAAA.jpg MUSIC GUITAR FAVILLA F5 2BAAA.jpg MUSIC GUITAR FAVILLA F5 2CAA.jpg MUSIC GUITAR FAVILLA F5 3BAA.jpg MUSIC GUITAR FAVILLA F5 3CAA.jpg MUSIC GUITAR FAVILLA F5 5AAA.jpg MUSIC GUITAR FAVILLA F5 6BAA.jpg MUSIC GUITAR FAVILLA F5 7AAA.jpg

2. journeymagazine

And the cool case - could this be the original?

MUSIC GUITAR FAVILLA F5 8AAA.jpg MUSIC GUITAR FAVILLA F5 9BAA.jpg MUSIC GUITAR FAVILLA F5 9CAA.jpg MUSIC GUITAR FAVILLA F5 9AAA.jpg MUSIC GUITAR FAVILLA F5 9DAA.jpg

judy, Born2it, Figtree3 and 1 other person like this.
  3. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Nice

The case is probably worth that alone

Don't know the make very well

But looks a nice quality 60s mahogany guitar

Main thing when ever buying a guitar is to check what the action is like ( height between strings and fretboard on the 12th fret)

You never wanna really buy one where there is a big gap, because it will need a neck reset)

Action looks ok from here though

4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

From what I can find online about the company, Herk Favilla took over in 1959, and the company stopped commercial production in 1973. So that is a range of dates for your guitar.

This web page (which appears to be pretty old) gives a lot of information about their history. http://www.catfish1952.com/favilla.html
    It says that Tom Favilla was around to answer questions by email, but the only date I could find on the page is 2005 so am not sure if he is still around.

This Wikipedia page also gives a history of the company. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favilla_Guitars

I haven't found any information on how to identify the date by serial numbers...

judy, charlie cheswick and sabre123 like this.
  5. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Nice guitar!

Here is an article (the info is the same as what Figtree posted, but use Fig's link as this one is a pain to navigate) written by a fourth generation guitar builder for Favilla.

A couple noteworthy from the article:
    • The "F" designates the guitar as a steel string model (as opposed to "C" for Classic nylon string guitars).
    • All guitars with the Favilla Crest on the headplate were built by the Favilla family in the US.
    The hole on the bottom may have been for a strap button to hold a guitar strap.

all_fakes, judy, Born2it and 3 others like this.
  6. journeymagazine

I put on FB Favilla group & they said it was from 1964!

Born2it, sabre123, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Good! It's great that you found the group.

judy, Born2it and journeymagazine like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted