Featured Tohono O’odham basket?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by cfh, Jun 30, 2023.

1. cfh

cfh Well-Known Member

I bought this basket this morning. I kinda like the design. That is a dog, isn’t it? I think it is Tohono O’odham. My guess would be fairly recent. Does that seem right? I am by no means a basket expert. The lady who sold it to me said it came from somewhere in New Mexico.
    C40C549F-8F59-4B81-9EA8-D31B6915554C.jpeg 3FA8DD58-6742-4598-87F4-C776461B3F43.jpeg B8F782E4-9459-4E13-BDED-128D756A28D6.jpeg

Figtree3, Aquitaine and Potteryplease like this.
  2. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I think it's a dog, yes, but I don't think it's authentic. It looks like palm fiber and not the materials of Tohono O'odham baskets (which are from Arizona btw). The rim in particular doesn't look right to me, but I could be wrong.

It's a nice basket.

Figtree3, cfh and komokwa like this.
  3. cfh

cfh Well-Known Member

I thought it might not be authentic. I find faux Native American items all the time. I see lots of baskets, but usually do not purchase them because I have no idea what to look for. This one was just $2, and looked hand made to me. So, I decided to check it out. Thanks.

Potteryplease and komokwa like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG]

it doesn't look right to me either.

cfh and Potteryplease like this.
  5. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Def hand made, and for $2 you can't go wrong!

cfh likes this.
  6. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

It may have "come from" New Mexico, but it was made in Pakistan. Where an item is found, or ends up, may be no indication of where it was made.

There is currently a similar eBay item listed (# 123660123742) complete with a "Certificate of Authenticity" saying it was made in Pakistan.

Tohono O'odham baskets are traditionally made from yucca strips with designs created with martytania, which accounts for this not looking quite "right".

7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The Pakistani weavers are getting better at this. But their coils are more rounded and distinct, compared with flatter coils on Tohono O'odham baskets.

8. cfh

cfh Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I travel to Colorado and New Mexico on occasion. Out of habit I always turn over objects and look for labels. I have seen many a southwest style object made in China.

9. cfh

cfh Well-Known Member

Thanks. I see that now.

10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I had a genuine Tohono O'odham basket from a NA friend. It came with certification and was tagged by the maker. When we were moving and I had to part with some items, I put it up for sale. I made the mistake of clicking "Buy It Now" instead of Auction and some sharp person got it for $20. I"m still kicking myself for not paying attention

Potteryplease, komokwa and cfh like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted