Featured Toluca Valley Basket? Just Want To Be Sure

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Not Sure What This Is, May 3, 2021.

1. Not Sure What This Is

Not Sure What This Is Active Member

Hi,
    I originally thought that this might be a Hopi coil basket, but I read a post in this forum that said that the wrapped stitches between the coils indicated Toluca Valley, Mexico. I thought that the figures looks Kachina-like, but I guess not. If it's Mexican, was it made by indigenous people? Thanks for any help! Hopi-Coil-Basket-3.jpg Hopi-Coil-Basket-.jpg Hopi-Coil-Basket-6.jpg

judy, TraceyB and moreotherstuff like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

judy, TraceyB and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Definitely not Hopi, or Native American. I would think Mexican, but maybe not necessarily Toluca Valley.

The stitching pattern, although it uses a wrapped stitch to join the coils, differs from typical Toluca Valley baskets. The material itself, and the colors used are also not commonly associated with baskets from there. Nor is the craftsmanship of very high quality. I don't think this is one that can definitely be considered a particular traditional style.

komokwa, judy and TraceyB like this.
  5. Not Sure What This Is

Thank you both for the info. As far as age, I was thinking 1930s - do you think that I'm off on the dating?

judy likes this.
  6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Probably safe in calling it "vintage", but anything more definite is a stretch, unless you know of some context that we do not.

7. Not Sure What This Is

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the colors seem to rich for 30's.....i like 80's better.......imo.

Draft saved Draft deleted