Too late to restore?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by slimmyjimjim7, Aug 14, 2020.

?

Restorable?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. slimmyjimjim7

slimmyjimjim7 New Member

I just found this bad boy in the garage, lot of rust damage but I'm willing to put the work in to get this thing up and working. Only problem is I have no clue what kind it is or where to start on restoration. Please help this poor novice achieve the dream of being able to sew on an antique machine. sewingmachine.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

u can buy an vintage machine for less than the trouble and expertise needed to restore this roached hunk of steel...........imo...

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not worth the time or effort. Vintage and antique sewing machines are readily available. Yours looks like it was a real workhorse. Perhaps it can be recycled.

Debora

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

If you want a project, there are sites to help you restore. Looks like you will have to rewire.
    I'd start with an air compressor and blow as much dirt off and see how much rust there really is.
    If the rust isn't too bad, it might not be all that bad to restore for actual use. However, it's not worth it to go to the trouble to paint it.

If you don't need another project, this would make good Yard Art.

Welcome to the board.
    Like your Hydrangea

slimmyjimjim7 likes this.
  5. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

I personally wouldn't spend the time on it. It would take a lotta work. The thing is that there are many old sewing machines out there in decent working shape for a nominal fee...sometimes even free! Keep your eyes open! As for that one... I think I'd use the air compressor on it first... scrub it up... give it a good coat of black enamel paint and find a fun gold scroll decal to put on the body and use it as a decorative outdoor item...
    Cheerio,
    Leslie

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's cool-looking just as it is. I'd clean it up and use it as shop decoration in a clothing store. There are plenty of antique sewing machines in far better shape that just need an oiling and a good home.

Draft saved Draft deleted