Featured Tool Without a Name or Imagined Purpose: Your Turn!

Discussion in 'Tools' started by wlwhittier, May 29, 2022.

  1. wlwhittier

    wlwhittier Well-Known Member

    Long story short: this was a gift from an old packrat who had owned it for long & long. Neither he, nor anyone he had ever shown it to, could ID it. I can attest to that truth in my own experience with it since acquisition in 1990...not a single conjecture (an' there have been many) coincides accurately with the features, materials & measurements of this tool. Unfortunately it's buried in storage, unavailable for immediate examination...my alleged memory will have to do.

    It appears to be cast, but there are elements that suggest forging. The sockets for the handles are about an inch in diameter. As pic 4 shows, 3¾" between those uprights, which constitute grips for whatever the geared central pusher forces against. Iron (or steel, perhaps) that has lived in the weather long enough to become severely pitted, and long since painted with a remarkably durable black finish.

    Please note the 'saddle' shape of the business end of that pusher. There's a clue there, but it has escaped disclosure to those many folks who have examined this piece in person, fondled it for lotsa minutes...not to mention those who, like you, must needs do their sleuthing with nothing better than my pics for guidance.

    This has gone on for long enough! This artifact of 19C cleverness cries out for identification...Please. Help!

    fullsizeoutput_2c64.jpeg fullsizeoutput_8c9.jpeg fullsizeoutput_2c63.jpeg fullsizeoutput_fca.jpeg fullsizeoutput_c21.jpeg fullsizeoutput_220d.jpeg
    Last edited: May 29, 2022
    Rayo56, Born2it, Kronos and 3 others like this.
  2. 2manybooks

    2manybooks Well-Known Member

    Don't know off the bat, but I have some questions. By "handles", do you mean the two moving parts with the holes through them? Are there sockets in the ends of these (parallel to the casting), or just the holes going across? Are there wear patterns in any particular direction in the holes?

    Based on the cast hooks/projections on the top of the frame (above the handle & rack), and the way the handle of the rack seats into the frame, it looks like it might have fit into a larger piece of equipment, and this apparatus is some sort of release mechanism.
    kyratango likes this.
  3. wlwhittier

    wlwhittier Well-Known Member

    Right, 2many...there are 'sockets' in those, to accommodate (almost certainly wooden) shafts, long and stout enough to furnish whatever leverage was necessary to accomplish the intended work.

    I recall nothing specific about wear in those bores.
  4. springfld.arsenal

    springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

    Could be an ejector to eject a hot product from a mold. The two hooks show that in use, the thing is placed hooks down on an edge or in pockets made to receive hooks and position the tool so it pushes exactly where needed. Bringing the wood or iron handles together ejects the product away from the person holding handles. Might only be needed when a product sticks in mold, usually a person pushes product out with simpler tool, but when stuck,the extra force given by this tool does the trick.
  5. wlwhittier

    wlwhittier Well-Known Member

    Creative, with potential...Thanks!
  6. Firemandk

    Firemandk Well-Known Member

    or is it the other way around? the "d" handle is the handle and something went in the sockets to carry ice blocks or wood / lumber ????
  7. Firemandk

    Firemandk Well-Known Member

    Oh, the other thing that came to mind was part of a bull horn cutter .......

  8. springfld.arsenal

    springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

    #7 sounds like a winner. Aka dehorner. The blade section is missing, but otherwise very similar to several other googulations using that term.
  9. sabre123

    sabre123 Well-Known Member

    I saw those last night but kept discounting them because I couldn't see how the cutter / blade assy. would attach to that "D" ring. But maybe the cutter was on the missing part, and the D did the pushing? I just can't find one [quickly] with that configuration.

    Rayo56 and komokwa like this.
  10. Bronwen

    Bronwen Well-Known Member

    A patented mechanical boot jack? You put the grips around the boot heel with pusher down & handles open, then close handles to move pusher against heel?
    komokwa likes this.
  11. komokwa

    komokwa The Truth is out there...!

    I'm beginning to think it's a large crimper of a sort...
    those feet , now look like hooks, that slot into a larger item..
    Bronwen likes this.
  12. Kronos

    Kronos Well-Known Member

  13. komokwa

    komokwa The Truth is out there...!

    there's a best answer......& I still don't get how they used it.....:inpain::inpain:
    Bronwen likes this.
  14. Kronos

    Kronos Well-Known Member

  15. komokwa

    komokwa The Truth is out there...!

    thanks again !!!:)
    I knew those end hooks would come into play..........;):happy:
    wlwhittier and Bronwen like this.
  16. Rayo56

    Rayo56 Well-Known Member

    Figtree3, komokwa and wlwhittier like this.
  17. wlwhittier

    wlwhittier Well-Known Member

    komokwa likes this.
  18. bosko69

    bosko69 Well-Known Member

    That was a fun and most enlightening thread-great forum !
    wlwhittier and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page