Featured Torquay Pottery Auction Results ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bosko69, Jan 5, 2023.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Two boxes of Torquay pottery wares to include; chamberstick on a cream ground with slip-glazed decoration and incised motto 'be the day be weary or the day be long, at last it ringeth to evensong', Torquay pottery jug on a cream ground with floral decoration and incised motto 'vessel large may venture more little boats must keep the shore', various other chambersticks etc.SOLD 2016-Lacy,Scott & Knight-25 Pounds.
    PS-Not a Pottery expert,still surprised this stuff goes so cheap (inferior Torquay ?) Torquay Pottery Entire Lot.jpg Guess the Motto Ware's a penny a pound now.

2. Woutinc

Woutinc .wordpress.com

Beautifull Wedgwood plates (not antique).
    No one interested. Not even for a few bucks.
    Started eating from it :D #classy

What else!? Cheaper then buying new simple plates.

pearlsnblume and kentworld like this.
  3. bosko69

Si-Cheaper than buying new Wou !

Woutinc likes this.
  4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

China/pottery values have been in the dumpster for quite a while now. High quality stuff is cheap as chips and no one wants it -- who entertains with fancy dinners anymore? Minimalist is in and fussy china is out! And some of us have inherited lots of it. ;)

pearlsnblume, komokwa and Woutinc like this.
  5. Woutinc

Woutinc .wordpress.com

I do :happy: And f.i. the Wedgewood when on the table always brings reaction. Always, never not. Compliments, questions, ... :D At least i have the fun of that. Also worth something.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    kentworld likes this.
  6. bosko69

wow-look how low this stuff has gone ! it's like some kind of bitcoin implosion-this auction stuff went for less than a buck each-sorry for all the torquay dealers in the UK & this after 2 yrs of Covid...glad i was never a china/pot hound !

pearlsnblume, Houseful and Woutinc like this.
  7. bosko69

Yes Wou-the Table Staff at Downton Abbey are in tears right now,shameful disrespect.It's the end of an era old buoy.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  8. Woutinc

Woutinc .wordpress.com

Doesn't that go for everything in the nowadays throw-away-society?
    Where you used to find nice things/brocante/antiques at a simple flea market where people sell their used stuff, it is now mostly full of cheap plastic <sensored>.

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Being mindful that the date of that auction was 6, almost 7 years ago in Great Britain that may change an opinion or 2. Not to mention that it's a rather odd collection in my mind - very little motto ware it would appear and entirely too many candle holders.

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

May have been a dealer's hoard.

11. bosko69

Must have been a dealer's stash-now it's good filler for somebody else's shop,that's recycling.

12. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Huh. Well that is an important fact. Although, I've found that some "collections" garner less interest than if pieces were sold separately or in smaller groups.

13. bosko69

Seems reasonable Kent.

Draft saved Draft deleted