Featured Total Ban On Ivory Sales In The UK Proposed.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Poisonivy, Jan 11, 2018.

1. kristiaan

kristiaan Well-Known Member

Funny!
    Look what the cat brought in today....haven't been offered any in years, now we are talking about it; here they are....
    Nothing fancy, nothing "waw"! In fact sad a nice animal had to die, to make this...
    [​IMG]

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, not my cup of tea either. But those colonial Congolese items do well in specialized auctions. You need certificates of course, and the cost of appraisal for an official certificate is high.

3. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

What I don't understand is what's classed as...... " significant historic, artistic or cultural value"??.....All the pieces I own have significant historic, artistic or cultural value...."The plans include some exemptions for items which do not contribute to the poaching of elephants, including musical instruments such as pianos with ivory keys, items containing only a small proportion of ivory and those which have significant historic, artistic or cultural value.

KingofThings, Poisonivy, judy and 3 others like this.
  4. kristiaan

I could understand that the pieces I just showed would be classified as such.
    Sadly they have been mass produced. They where tourist products and didn't had any "historic, artistic or cultural value"....if the same "skill" would have been performed on a simple piece of rock or wood, they wouldn't sell.

5. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Given the present political situation in Britain this is not going to be more than a proposal, in my opinion. The Conservative party is hanging on to government by its fingernails, and is in no position to propose any controversial legislation as anything other than a gesture. The Labour party don't have a majority to get this through, and I do not think a cross party attempt would have much luck since quite a few MPs are half way sensible.

It soulds like something the Liberal Democrats might propose as they have no chance whatsoever of passing any legislation but it would play well with their supporters. Both of them.

All parties may be thinking of the ban on fox-hunting passed by Tony Blair's Labour government. It was more or less totally ignored, not least by the police.

6. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

I wonder what exactly a small proportion will be?
    I think in the USA it's 200 grams or less.

KingofThings, 808 raver, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

I hope you're right.

8. 808 raver

Half the items I own have some Ivory in them, something like this is all Ivory, even though this is a later piece it still predates the Ivory ban by 30 years. Would this be considered significantly historic, artistically or cultural valuable enough?

DSCF2244 (Medium).JPG

9. 808 raver

10. 808 raver

11. 808 raver

12. 808 raver

13. 808 raver

14. 808 raver

15. 808 raver

I could go on all night, I would lose my shirt if a total ban happened.

16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's a lovely collection.....precarious .....but lovely..!

17. kristiaan

18. Any Jewelry

I have a couple of these, Canton, China, ca 1815. The others are in better shape, but this is the only one I have a picture of:
    upload_2018-1-16_11-31-0.jpeg
    upload_2018-1-16_11-33-10.jpeg
    upload_2018-1-16_11-35-44.jpeg

19. 808 raver

20. Any Jewelry

It is. And just imagine the time it took.

Draft saved Draft deleted