Featured Total Ban On Ivory Sales In The UK Proposed.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Poisonivy, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

Just lovely...
    The skill of the Ivory carvers in Canton never fails to amaze me, I love Dieppe Ivory too but it's very expensive supposing you can even find some.

2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I think the problem, at least here in the US, is not so much is it old and/or historically significant, it's can you prove it? Proof like do you have original receipts from when it was first bought? If not, and I suspect most pieces do not have that kind of documentation, what needs to be done to prove it's pre-ban?

3. Poisonivy

Some items might not be Elephant Ivory but to the ordinary man in the street it isn't easy to tell.
    I just assume my Ivory is from Elephants.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

around here...I assume it Walrus !!;);)

5. Poisonivy

Good idea....I'll do that ;)

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I just assume I'm stuck with it. :-(

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Have often thought that if I could sell my few inherited ivory pieces (mother bought a couple of bracelets in big sales held right before US ban law went into effect), I would be happy to donate the proceeds to an elephant conservation/protection program.

Every time they hold a big, much publicized smashing or burning, all I can think is, You fools. You're just making it rarer, more expensive, more worth risking poaching for.

I'm most disgusted by ivory going to traditional Chinese medicine, seemingly mainly for purposes of improving male potency. Rhino horn, ditto. My solution is fake news: get a reputable medical journal to publish a convincingly scientific sounding paper on how just touching ivory can make a man impotent, get that spread around on the Internet - many animals saved.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Slight problem, walrus is now on CITES appendix III (2017).
    I have some antique dugong ivory keris hilts, dugong is on CITES appendix I (2000).
    I guess you have to check locally what that means for sale.

9. Poisonivy

Yes we can't win...
    I guess we just have to keep and enjoy our collections whatever kind of Ivory it is :)

judy, Christmasjoy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I didn't mean to suggest that walrus, was a easy sell anywhere...just that around here most Ivory that you encounter....will not be elephant.

11. Bronwen

12. Poisonivy

13. Bronwen

I still see lots slipping by in carefully worded eBay listings. I only report when I suspect the item is modern. Some things you know are antique & I see no benefit to anyone or anything in taking them off the market.

I know a third generation antiques dealer who specializes in Chinese work. He thinks there will eventually be some kind of legal easement for some ivory that does not have documentation. We'll see.

I have a handful of ivory cameos. If they cannot be legally sold by the time I need or am ready to part with them, some 'lucky' museum will put them out of sight in a storage locker.

14. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Absolutely dito all you said above, folks, that is stupid and won't help elephants to destroy antique works of art:rage:
    Those Cambodian or Thai ivory stamps seem to enter these exceptions, what do you think? (Anyway, not going to part with my ivory pieces:rolleyes:)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

16. Bronwen

No, nor this (have shown before on another thread):

Genius_of_Silenus_1B.jpg

Or this (sold as Celluloid by an English auction house):

Ivory_Dionysus_1B.jpg

There are just some kinds of things that aren't being faked these days, that are clearly well before any legal restrictions, despite no documentation. Wonder if there is now a rising field of faking the documentation? There's a business opportunity.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  17. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Just came back from previewing some jewelry going up in a local auction tomorrow. I found in two separate lots a piece with elephant ivory described in the catalog as celluloid :(

18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I see that one cherub is still on the booze.:hilarious:

19. Bronwen

As I have expressed elsewhere, when I acquire antique ivory, I feel I am honoring the sacrifice. It's not the existence of pieces like these that is driving the market demand that leads to the poaching. Making trade illegal is only going to mean an underground market. The poachers get so little pay, it would probably be cheaper & more effective to give would-be poachers a stipend than to have wardens, who have an impossible (& dangerous) job & cargo inspectors.

20. Bronwen

Living in the US, I'm close to it myself these days. I sent this out at the time. The other one was until recently for sale by a well known London dealer. After looking at many other similar pieces, I'm convinced they are by the same hand & probably companion pieces; one is a tiny fraction larger, as it would have to be.

We_All_Fall_Down_C.jpg

judy, Christmasjoy, kristiaan and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted