Featured Toy Bear (c. 1920) Provenance

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by DBinSV, Mar 19, 2019.

1. DBinSV

DBinSV Active Member

Thank you very much, @judy and @Ownedbybear (and everyone else!).

The material value is of secondary importance, as my intention here is not to sell but rather to pass this along to my niece, with some information that would make this family memento more meaningful for her.

If you happen to think of any forum or individual, from which I might be able to get a better idea about the bear's provenance, that would be most appreciated. (I hesitate to contact oldteddybearshop.co.uk because it seems from what is written online there that they are, understandably, only interested in communication for the purpose of a sale. I want to respect their wishes.)

Also appreciated would be any suggestions about where I might look for a display case. The bear is quite fragile now, with continued survival dependent upon some kind of housing.

Of the many forums I've visited over the years, this community is truly a stand-out in so many ways. I feel very fortunate to have found it.

Dan

Christmasjoy, Figtree3, KSW and 2 others like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Don, I'd still ask them. Teddy bear collectors are a friendly bunch, and if you say why you want to know, and that it's for family history, they may well answer. And they'd know about cases and care, too.

3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Totally agree, one of the few very friendly forums that don’t make me feel like I’ve asked a ridiculous question,even if I have!. Such patient people and with an amazing knowledge base.
    I love the questions that start off specific about a particular item and end up in all round education about the heritage, the country, people, manufacturers methods etc.

5. DBinSV

DBinSV Active Member

I am grateful to Steiff expert Rebekah Kaufman (http://mysteifflife.blogspot.com/) who generously shared her knowledge and that of her colleagues with me, writing as follows:

"I've checked with [a] number of my bear collecting associates and we all agree that the bear is pre-1915 and was probably made in America. It does not have European characteristics …. It is my best guess that bears like yours, from what I see, MIGHT sell in the hundreds or maybe very low thousands, all things being equal. His sentimental value is priceless, and that is what's key here."

I found a beautiful case at shoppopdisplays.com and will post a picture of the bear inside after the case arrives, before I send the package off to my niece.

shoppopdisplays.com case.jpg

cxgirl, judy, Bakersgma and 5 others like this.
  6. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

That's great news - and a great case for him. Your niece will be thrilled.

DBinSV, judy and kyratango like this.
  7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for posting Steiff's opinion.

Happy for you that you found an appropriate case.

Draft saved Draft deleted