Transferware pattern ID

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by GingerSnaps, Jul 14, 2019.

1. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Good work, SIS! Well found!

3. GingerSnaps

GingerSnaps Member

Oh WOW! Thanks so much!!!! I greatly appreciate the help!! That definitely is the poppy one! I don't think I could have ever tracked this down myself!! Thanks again!!! :D :D :D

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Bit late, but yeah, field poppies.

i need help likes this.
  5. GingerSnaps

GingerSnaps Member

Thanks so much again. I was able to purchase that teapot...even though it's not the same color as the shard it doesn't matter to me as it seems so hard to find and hard to even find out what it was. I greatly appreciate the help!! From what I read that company went out of business in 1896 so I felt my chances of finding another piece are slim. I hope I do find others but at least I'll have that one!

say_it_slowly likes this.
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

LOL, well glad you were able to get it! I've been known to identify a pattern or type from a sherd, buy an example and then buy a book about it:D

kentworld and SBSVC like this.
  7. GingerSnaps

GingerSnaps Member

Sounds like me at times :). I'm still hunting for the original one I posted and I think it may have been the top of a pitcher. I've come across a few different shaped ones on the top portion that I think would fit the way the two pieces are. Maybe I'll find more pieces when I go back to the dump but I found those early one and have dug in that same spot and haven't seen another one again. I did find a good deal of Dunn Bennett Imperial pattern. I found part of what seems to be a big wide cup. Its strange as I've not seen anything like it before. It's 4" wide at the base and 3-1/4 high. It gets wider as it gets to the top. Have you ever seen anything like this? Thankfully this was a piece that had the mark on it so I was able to determine the pattern name and maker of all the other matching shards I found. I found several handled tea cups and a creamer in this pattern at this dump

Attached Files:

• imp1.jpg
      imp1.jpg
      File size:
      128.4 KB
      Views:
    • imp2.jpg
      imp2.jpg
      File size:
      56.8 KB
      Views:
    i need help likes this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I don't think it is a cup.
    My first reaction was a butter tub, but haven't been able to find a butter tub that doesn't have an inset lid.

I did find this, and the measurements seem to match. I'm posting it as I think this is the shape and type of lid yours probably had.
    I'm questioning their time frame, price and whether it is truly old. I don't like the Made in England - looks newer to me.

I also don't know that yours was a cigarette holder. Again - I'm only showing this for shape and lid style

https://www.rubylane.com/item/441414-AMT2713/Ceramic-Navrati-Ex78tra-Tobacco-Box78

GingerSnaps and i need help like this.
  9. GingerSnaps

GingerSnaps Member

Thank you very much for the reply! It is very similar in shape/size. I agree too with that listing that the piece doesn't look that old and a high price for something that may not be. I wonder if they made a cigar holder back then as well but that piece does seem to pretty much match up with the piece I found. I wish there were old catalogs that this company made still around but I haven't been able to find any ...online at least.

10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

11. GingerSnaps

GingerSnaps Member

Thanks....I'd looked it up a few months ago but on the potteries.org site and found out it was pretty old which I suspected given how it looked and the other things I found there. I think that it is a butter crock like @clutteredcloset49 said. I looked that up and found several that were shaped like the piece I have where it gets bigger at the top.. spays out I guess you'd say? I can see where an inset lid would work as she stated since as the piece gets narrower as it goes down....that way a lid wouldn't need a lip/edge and would just rest when it hits the circumference of it

i need help likes this.
  12. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The number shown in that listing is only 5 digits long. No way it's 1914. It's actually registered in 1886.

i need help likes this.
  13. GingerSnaps

GingerSnaps Member

I thought it was in the mid to late 1880's when I looked it up a couple months ago and again goes along with everything I've found in this particular dump. I'd also found this and if I read correctly it's about the same time period as all the other pieces? This is another one I can't find any other pieces listed anywhere except something on Worthpoint of a bud vase. It's the most complete piece I've found so far there. I did find other shards that don't fit this piece so I know there were others in this pattern IMG_8244.jpg IMG_8245.jpg

14. Bakersgma

I'm sorry. I can't see the numbers on this one.

15. GingerSnaps

GingerSnaps Member

There’s an 11 over a 0 carved into the dish and a 3 painted on

16. Bakersgma

Those are not registration numbers. Are there any numbers in the blue printing that cuts across the bow?

17. GingerSnaps

GingerSnaps Member

No there’s no numbers

18. Bakersgma

Ah, now I see the first part says Ridgways? and then Stoke on Trent?

If you haven't searched by Ridgways, you should.

19. GingerSnaps

GingerSnaps Member

Yes ... just says the "Stoke-on-Trent". I’d done some searching on it when I first found that piece last fall and didn't find anything in that pattern except the one on worthpoint. I've looked from time to time for it again and haven't seen it. The potteries site says that marking dates it to c.1885-1890. It's pretty old and dates with all the other things I've found. I really like the pattern on it and glad it's almost complete! :D

20. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The main flower motif in the first pattern resembles that in a wallpaper design, c1874, called "Trellis Dado", by Lewis Foreman Day:
    z0.jpg

z01.jpg

kentworld, Bakersgma and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted