Translation of wedding band inscription please

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Norwegians usually have dark hair, the other Viking nations have the whole range of colours, just like the rest of northern Europe.
    Oh, and have you seen Icelandic Viking Björk?;)
    [​IMG]

2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I have a totally irrational overreaction to her voice that makes me want to break the radio!. And I'm not normally prone to violence. Although I believe she is.
    I suppose hair dye is freely available in Norway too;).
    Just remind me how we got from a silver ring to Björk :vomit:and hair dye?:confused:

Edit- apologies AJ I can't bring myself to 'like' a photo of her :hilarious:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

I have never understood what the attraction of Björk is. And I'd rather not try to understand.:rolleyes:
    All Vikings being blonde and blue eyed. All your own doing!:D:hilarious:

DragonflyWink likes this.
  4. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Björk is genius and possibly an actual angel.
    Back to the actual subject, we're surprised no one's yet done a translation from one of the Tolkien alphabets...

shallow_ocean_spectre likes this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Apologies, my sum knowledge of Vikings comes from endless episodes of Horrible Histories!.
    Rapid change of subject but I love this one about Coco Chanel.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/watch/horrible-histories-coco-chanel-song
    I've learned far more history from HH than I ever did at school. Obviously not quite enough about vikings though!.

6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I think 'everyone' (me) is hoping OBB may pop back with an Elvish:English dictionary.......

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm trying to find a decent online one. ;) Let me ask a couple of fellow geeks if someone can translate it.

KSW likes this.
  8. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Have you tried googling Tolkein/Lord of the Ring wedding bands/bands/rings?

The Vikings in my family have red hair and blue eyes, the rarest color combination on earth.

9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Yes, most of them have a different alphabet. Nothing like this.

I've always considered myself to have blonde hair so was a bit surprised when my children firmly told me it was ginger. One daughter will be the same but she has she green eyes, other daughter is whiter blonde with blue eyes.

DragonflyWink and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

I have Viking blood (Normandy). I had white blonde hair as a baby, but that quickly turned darker, to a very dark brown as a teen and later. It is now mostly grey, so I am going back to white again.;)
    As a child I met a blonde double in Denmark. We even had the same way of tilting our heads, and the same unusual smile, starting with one side of the mouth.:wideyed: It is a smile that all of my Normandy relatives had as well.

DragonflyWink, Marko and KSW like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

I don't think it was meant as a wedding band - we tend not to do silver ones, for a start. I think it's one of those LOTR fannish things. I've a replica of the One Ring, for example. We like hidden stuff. Yessss, we does, my precious.

12. Any Jewelry

[​IMG]

13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

M how did you find a photo of me finding the ring on a bric-a-brac table?!.

14. Any Jewelry

I have my ways.....:shifty:
    Next time put something on please.:D

DragonflyWink and KSW like this.
  15. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Lots of Vikings in my area.

After they invaded in the 800's many of them stayed behind and interbred.

Lots of place names and dialect remain.

We have more than our fair share of blond blue eyes.

In the city of Hull many of the residents pronounce it Ull,a trait left by the pillagers, infact most words starting with H are missed off,
    Ull, Ell, Alifax, Uddersfield are some examples.:hilarious:

My first wife was half Norwegian and she was as blond as they get.

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  16. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That IS my best outfit :angelic:

17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Most folks with English ancestry have some Viking squirreled away somewhere up the family tree. The same is true for anyone with Norman family or northern German. Dutch... etc. Those dudes got around.

daveydempsey and KSW like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

England has quite some Viking influence, northern Germany only on a part of the Baltic coast. Viking influence in the Netherlands, not really, since there was no long term Viking settlement here.
    We did get some Scandinavians during the 17th century, when half of Europe gravitated towards the Low Countries.;) Some stayed, many left, taking their earnings with them to support family back home.

The northern and western Netherlands are called Frisia on this map, in between Francia and the North Sea. As you can see, it suffered frequent raids, but no significant settlement by Scandinavians:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    DragonflyWink and Bakersgma like this.
  19. Ownedbybear

My DNA came back with a large chunk of Scottish and an almost larger chunk of Northern European with a bit of Swedish.

KSW likes this.
  20. Any Jewelry

A lot of Viking influence in coastal and island Scotland as well, even in a place name like Ed(w)inburgh.;)

KSW and Ownedbybear like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted