Translation of wedding band inscription please

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Dec 1, 2019.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

How fascinating to get your DNA tested!. How detailed was the report?

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It was Ancestry DNA - fairly detailed and it gets updates, too, plus it showed some distant cousins.

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Did you get a recent update on your DNA breakdown, OBB? I got one last week or so. I wish they would give you a way to see what changed without having to remember to write down the old numbers before viewing the new ones.

My impression is that my English - Northwestern Europe segment (which has always been the largest and makes a lot of sense given my tree) got a little smaller, but the the Norway and Sweden (reported separately but mathematically combined) now total over 10%. Segment #2 is Irish/Scottish and #3 is Germanic Europe.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think my latest update was about a month ago? The Swedish was the new drop in, from memory. I know what you mean about the history being useful!

Bakersgma and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I did Ancestry DNA. I was a bit disappointed that they lumped German ancestry under "British Isles." I do have Northern and Southern European ancestry, too, and a few other things in the mix.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

You should look at your results again, Marko. I have 11% "Germanic Europe" which consists of all of modern Germany, The Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, most of Switzerland and Austria, smaller parts of other countries bordering Germany on the east and southern Denmark.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Maybe we're related (I've some Dutch way back), I've always had what most have referred to a 'half-smile', on my left side, and I'm also a left-eye winker (dimple on the left too), but my goofy full grin is wide and even.

My youngest big brother and I were both born bald (a rude shock for Mom after my oldest brother was born with a full head of dark hair), our hair came in white-blonde, remaining towheads until around two or three, then turning to what Mom always referred to as 'dishwater-blonde', both of us bleaching to bright blonde with summer sun exposure, but almost a light brown in the winter. Lots of German on Mom's side, and same on my brothers' paternal side, but both of my father's grandmothers were Danish immigrants - can remember when I was a teenager, my great great aunt, also born in Denmark, touching my long straight fine hair (think Peggy Lipton in Mod Squad), telling me that I had 'Danish hair', and suggested I perm it. Ahhh, the memories of most of the women in my father's family with their fine frizzy permed hair...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

From what I read on Dutch genealogy forums, most people who have done the test here in the Netherlands had results with significant percentages of British and Scandinavian. Some who thought they were pure Dutch (whatever that is), had over 50% British dna.
    It seems to be due to the fact that very few Dutch people have actually had their dna tested. The early migrations from here to Britain could lead to us being lumped in with the Brits. Besides, however diverse the Germanic peoples are now, and have been for 1000-2000 years, they share a common ancestry.
    Strangely, some of the Dutch people on the forums get a small percentage of Indian :confused: in their results, but no North African. Scientific research shows that 'Native' Dutch have the highest percentage of North African dna of Northern Europe. The commercial tests not picking up on that could be because not many North Africans have had themselves tested.

Recent research shows the Celtic tribes were also Germanic, which could be why people from Austria, Switzerland and other (part) Celtic regions test as Germanic.

My Dutch ancestors from my mother's side are all from mixed Celtic-Frankish regions here, so maybe we test as having a lot of French and British dna.:playful:
    Sites like Ancestry have been saying that Dutch people should have themselves tested so Ancestry etc can collect more data. But I guess the Dutch being Dutch, many don't want to pay before more Dutch dna data is available.:D Maybe our North African cousins think the same.;)
    I will volunteer when they offer it for free.:cool:

Draft saved Draft deleted