Featured Trolling on the high seas

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Jul 25, 2020.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Quick post today to show an item I’m excited to receive. This one photo below is all I had to work with. This is a good example where I see one item with potential, ask for a photo and bang there’s something good there. The only thing that caught my eye was the little bowl. But LOOK at the marks!? The seller wasn’t very interested to ship but we worked out a deal. Probably won’t get it until later this week. Anybody want to share who the maker is and the time period?

62DBD1DB-66D9-414E-B29B-6C7AC88E3748.jpeg 7C573662-0AA2-418C-BB43-FB52223146E3.jpeg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

No idea, but YEP! The trays are scrap metal, and those teapots are recycling, but that bowl is ready to roll.

kyratango, patd8643, MrNate and 3 others like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Well, it wants to be Edinburgh, third quarter of the 1700's by Lothian and Robertson, I think.

I'm having trouble with the date though. And can somebody lighten up the shadow on the left?

4. Bakersgma

5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

6. Bakersgma

Oh! That's the mark in the shadow that I could not figure out. Thanks, Cheryl!

MrNate and Lucille.b like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

SO, I'm just curious, why does that thistle mark in the piece look like there's at least one if not two flowers visible when I lightened it up??? They (IF that's what they are...were up in the darkest area.......and albeit....upside down......! Trying to learn here, since I know so little about these marks!!! I copied & turned it so it was a bit easier to see with some contrasting & lightening....that's all.....but I definitely see the thistle (still upside down!). And what is that other strange mark off to the right???? Kind of looks like a serpent?? and a bird on that level whatever with something else along side it!???

7C573662-0AA2-418C-BB43-FB52223146E3-EDITED.jpg

8. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

It took awhile to get here that's for sure, but it arrived! Here's the before photos:
    IMG_6780.JPG IMG_6781.JPG IMG_6782.JPG IMG_6783.JPG IMG_6784.JPG IMG_6785.JPG

cxgirl and kyratango like this.
  9. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

And the after photos!

IMG_6788.JPG IMG_6789.JPG IMG_6791.JPG IMG_6792.JPG IMG_6793.JPG IMG_6795.JPG IMG_6804.JPG

10. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Gorgeous.

cxgirl and MrNate like this.
  11. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you aaroncab :) :) :)

12. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

13. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

thank you for both compliments kyratango :) :) this item was larger than I originally expected, and I enjoyed some q-tip work yesterday

14. Aquitaine

NICE "restoration" Nate!

cxgirl and MrNate like this.
  15. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you Aquitaine. I would like to think that moving forward, this item will never get as tarnished as it was when I found it.

cxgirl, LIbraryLady and Aquitaine like this.
  16. Aquitaine

HAHAHA!!!!! It probably WON'T.......as long as YOU own it!!!!!:smug::smug:

cxgirl, Tanya and MrNate like this.
  17. Roshan Ko

Roshan Ko Well-Known Member

Beautiful @MrNate
    That some serious arm work put in.

Aquitaine, MrNate and cxgirl like this.
  18. Janice Nicholls

Janice Nicholls Active Member

19. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you Roshan Ko, I think it was approx. 4 hours put into it. The part that takes the longest by far is the little stubborn black tarnish marks. They are like black holes, with a never ending hard tarnish baked into the metal that just takes patience and time to remove. The little crevices of the repoussé takes some time but with practice I've gotten pretty efficient at that part.

Aquitaine and cxgirl like this.
  20. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Nice job! That's a heckuva score too; Edinburgh silver of any age ain't cheap. If that thing's as old as the others say...eep. That's never hitting the melt pile!

Aquitaine, MrNate and cxgirl like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted