Trying again, Italian Oil can Snake detail

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Lilit, Apr 27, 2022.

1. Lilit

Lilit Active Member

7A12AC2D-24E5-4DDD-A5BA-C9CBE0C68ED3.jpeg 65F4DC72-3E0E-4550-8D7F-A41D14E7AEC2.jpeg 323E391C-BECB-4BDB-AC61-17A2DB804EE0.jpeg I guess its for oil and it says made in italy on the bottom. But don’t think it’s silver. Has anyone seen something like this or does anyone know more about this?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2022
  2. Lilit

Lilit Active Member

7FC3015E-A874-45AF-98D7-D20698F60E89.jpeg A7CFA84C-44C6-418A-A0A2-D53C3CD0E8B6.jpeg Some more pictures

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2022
    Lucille.b and judy like this.
  3. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO.
    not for oil. claret jug.

Lucille.b, judy and George Chaney like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Looks too small for claret jug - note the size versus the hand. ;)

5. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Lucille.b and George Chaney like this.
  6. Lilit

Lilit Active Member

Lucille.b likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

"Made in" isn't any thing that would affect value. Given 1921 required start date that does make it possible to be 100 years old. ;)

Born2it and Lucille.b like this.
  8. Lilit

Lilit Active Member

Where can I take it to have it looked it or valued? Im so curious..

Lucille.b likes this.
  9. Lilit

Lilit Active Member

10. Lilit

Lilit Active Member

Lucille.b likes this.
  11. Lilit

Lilit Active Member

12. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

If it doesn't have any touch marks for sterling/silver then in all probability it is silver plate. You'll want to do a close inspection as sometimes the markings can be sneaky hard to find if there are any. You could take it to a higher end resale shop, for you can find a local antiquities appraiser that deals in this type of item.

Lucille.b and Lilit like this.
  13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

IMO not worth to contact an appraiser or resale shop. in Italy these are quite popular as gifts and sold in giftshops; for the size - Italians disdain the Anglo-Saxon habit of drinking too much and this size is often used for a single person.
    and please forgot about that "made in" and "1921" stuff; it comes nowhere near reality since 1922 the Capo del Governo didn't give anything about English or other foreign laws; this was solely up to the individual companies to decide.

Lilit, Lucille.b and George Chaney like this.
  14. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Agree not worth paying for an appraiser, the appraisal cost could easily exceed the value. Also agree it doesn't look like sterling, the handle seems to have wear showing a different color underneath.

It's a cool piece though. Love the snake handle.

Lilit, your last link (in Dutch) where you said the mark was identical, puts theirs at 1970s, and I think that is a reasonable date.

Lilit and Fid like this.
  15. Bakersgma

Reality is that the US regulations about identifying country of origin with the name of the country in English took effect in 1921. If the maker wanted to sell their product over here they would have to comply or lose sales in this market. Does not matter what the "Capo" in Italy thinks.

16. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I know. same ideas with the Germans - their laws counted worldwide, but thanks to whomever up there it was only them that believed it.
    in the Roman law system upon which all Western civilised states built up their system it's otherwise...

17. Lilit

Lilit Active Member

Thank you all for the information. I found many similar items online, from 40
    to 100 euros depending on the state. I bought it for 1 euro and 50 cents in Holland.. Found it very cute looking

Draft saved Draft deleted