Trying to Date Two Stylized Wooden Saints

Discussion in 'Art' started by Nicholas Molinari, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari New Member

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and "modern" antiques in general--my area of expertise is ancient Greek coinage. However, after having dinner with a friend and viewing his impressive collection of early modern Christian art (1500-1800) I wanted to try and get a few pieces. I have no idea if these pieces are as old as the seller said (c. 1700s/1800s), but I find them beautiful and so I bought them as decorative art for my house or perhaps office. I believe the male is Saint Isidore the laborer, to judge from the sickle, and the female, perhaps St. Rose of Lima. Even though she has no roses about her, she is the only saint I know of to carry a city (presumably as the patron saint). Note the turreted headdress as well, indicative, I think, of her role as protector of a particular city, perhaps Lima.

My question: how do I date these? They were sold together and appear to be from the same hand.

More photos coming. Have to resize.

Rose.jpg Isidore.jpg

Houseful likes this.
  2. Nicholas Molinari

More pics:

aaaa.PNG aaabbbb.PNG aaaccc.PNG aaaddd.PNG aaaeee.PNG

aaroncab likes this.
  3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Have you asked your friend for his opinion? Seems that would be the logical place to start.

i need help and 2manybooks like this.
  4. Nicholas Molinari

My friend is not an expert by any means--he has many nice pieces, but relies on well-established dealers to determine authenticity.

i need help likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I would think they were examples of the carved wooden saints and other figures that were all around in the 1970s. From Spain. Some are polychromed.

Debora

Vintage-Mid-Century-Wooden-Witco-style-carved-religious.jpg

vintage-primitive-hand-carved-wood_1_d564325b8f3f27737744915437bad163.jpg

6. Nicholas Molinari

Thanks for the info, Deborah. Do you believe all such pieces are attributable to 1970s Spain, or were the Spaniards copying an early style? I've only really looked at online sources so I haven't investigated much.

i need help likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, they were an interpretation of Medieval religious carvings. Yours don't appear to be old. I would think they dated to the 1970s. But do wait for others which may have differing opinions.

Debora

door_jambs_west_front_san_mar_hi.jpg

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Nicholas.
    I'm with Debora, Spanish and not antique. That roughly hewn look is typical of those Spanish souvenir pieces. You could call them Romanesque Revival.
    I have never seen 1500-1800 statues of saints with that rough finish, not even very folksy ones.
    I agree, St Isidore the farm labourer, but the lady is St Barbara, imo. Her attribute is a tower because she was imprisoned in one.

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thank you, Any Jewelry. (And Santa Barbara makes sense as she's frequently found in Spain while Santa Rosa de Lima is not.) Nicholas, if these were mis-represented to you by the seller, they should be returned.

Debora

10. Any Jewelry

True, and Rosa de Lima is depicted as a Dominican nun with a crown of roses and roses in her hand.
    I agree.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    i need help likes this.
  11. Nicholas Molinari

The seller's description was vague and I bought them knowing they probably weren't true antiques. But I really do love the style so I want to keep them (they were about $40 each).

@Any Jewelry thank you for the Saint Barbara information. I had seen a list where St. Rose was the only one listed as holding a city, but St. Barbara makes perfect sense!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Keep your eye out for something like this.

Debora

6f7e4657a526a9f426019bb6ad92de2c--patron-saints-solomon.jpg

13. Any Jewelry

Another Barbara.:) Although I prefer this Gothic style, it is older than Nicholas' time frame. 1500-1800 is Baroque and Rococo.

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

French c 1500 in the collection of The Met.

Debora

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Ah, I would have thought older, similar ones from the Low Countries are older. Maybe more of a country piece, although of good quality.

16. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

I vote St. Barbara.. that looks like a saltpeter shaker to me. That is why they are so rare.

17. Kaiserpoo

Kaiserpoo Well-Known Member

18. Any Jewelry

Why?:confused::)

19. Kaiserpoo

Kaiserpoo Well-Known Member

Oh I thought it’s cool similar to the wood carving I have.

20. Any Jewelry

I'll check it out.

Draft saved Draft deleted