Featured Trying to find info on an old wood panel painting.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Jeanette Torello, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Think the chi rho hypothesis was mention in one or more of the articles in links. Some of them remind me of weather vanes.

Jeanette Torello likes this.
  2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Jeanette Torello, Bronwen and Jivvy like this.
  3. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Zampogna for sure!

Jeanette Torello, Bronwen and bluumz like this.
  4. Bronwen

Hah! Now I'm not the only one bringing cameos into threads as illustrations. The genre of this one is like the one @Jeff Drum uses as his avatar.

Jeanette Torello, bluumz and Jivvy like this.
  5. Jeanette Torello

Jeanette Torello Active Member

Here’s a painting I found that looks like a “before” for my painting. Look at the dancers in the background. B6AB144D-89A4-416E-8753-9CC7CB8EDBFF.jpeg

Jivvy and Bronwen like this.
  6. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

So, because of assize laws and lawsuits, bakers started marking their bread (each loaf!) in 1266.

Possibly the start of "merchant's marks".

blah blah blah history merchant's marks blah blah blah more history

The date is 1898 and the four biggest baking companies in America merge to form the National Biscuit Company (eventually "NABISCO").

Tell me you don't look at this differently than you did before you knew about merchant marks. :joyful:

nabisco-logo-evolution1.jpg

7. Jeanette Torello

8. Bronwen

Was about to tag OP, but her name no longer appears in the list of choices. We worked on this so much - OK, so a lot of it was tangents - I really wanted to know if she got any expert opinions. Sold it, made so much money she didn't need us anymore?

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That is strange, she is still a member, but I can't tag her either.:confused:

10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

@Ex Libris is currently using an avatar that seems to resemble the mark.

Bronwen, kyratango and Ex Libris like this.
  11. Ex Libris

Ex Libris Well-Known Member

My avatar is a so called house mark or merchant mark. It was used as a mark of property, when most people were illiterate. The house mark in my avatar is from a book about Cicero printed by Martin Bouillon in Lyon (1513).

12. Any Jewelry

Nice! Do you own the book?

@Ex Libris I am sorry for exposing you to the ring destruction thread.:sorry:
    I tagged you because Barn Owl (not the great destroyer) wondered about info on base metal Medieval and post-Medieval jewellery. I only have info on precious metal jewellery, which is generally more detailed.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    kyratango likes this.
  13. Ex Libris

That is no problem :). I don't know much about medieval jewellery, (not much rich people in our area in the past).

Yes I own the book, it is one of the oldest in my collection. :watching:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Wonderful!
    They all left for the larger cities.;)
    Problem solved.:) I just gave Barn Owl a jewellery link in another thread. The great destroyer is not getting any more info on the ring.:mad:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    kyratango and Ex Libris like this.
  15. Ex Libris

I was trying to find similar examples of the ring, but I deleted my post after I saw his comments. He just wanted to know the value of the ring. Nothing else mattered. Those kind of treasure hunters destroyed metaldetecting as a hobby for me...

antidiem, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

You were right to delete it. That 'finders keepers' comment was really shocking, he had no interest in expanding knowledge or in the historical value at all. Well, now it isn't worth anything in the open market.
    I can imagine. But you still have your paper treasures to keep you off the streets.;)

antidiem, Ex Libris and kyratango like this.
  17. Jeanette Torello

So sorry, I lost my link to this site and could t remember the name, smh. Then covid hit, and any research was put on hold. Still haven’t had it looked at or restored, and it’s still a mystery.

18. Bronwen

Good to have you back on. Member jivvy who also got so involved has left the site, think because she was getting too lost in it. Hope you do get some better advice than we could give. :)

Jeanette Torello and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

This is the first time I have looked at this thread. I would take it to a competent restorer that has connections with the major auction houses. They have art historians that can help you out. I have had interactions with Christie’s, they were very willing to help me with my research.

Jeanette Torello and Bronwen like this.
  20. Jeanette Torello

Sorry to hear she left, but I can understand how overwhelming it can get. Too many rabbit holes. I promise to post any new news I have once I get some.

Tanya, Pattywithay and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted