Featured Trying to find maker of this Sterling deco multicoclor stones brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Curioser, Jan 14, 2024.

1. Curioser

Curioser Well-Known Member

This sterling brooch once had a rose gold wash, mostly worn/polished off on the front. It is marked "Sterling" on the very bottom of the basket. Large stones are exceptionally brilliant, appear hand-faceted (irregular facets), and are unfoiled. The clusters are on posts attached by tiny rivets.

I think this is above-average quality. No luck with image searches on Google or Bing. Lots of silver brooches with red, blue and green stones; purple is not common. Any ideas of the maker based on style? Thanks for your ideas!
    SS_Multicolor_stones_flower_basket_pin_1.JPG
    SS_Multicolor_stones_flower_basket_pin_2.JPG
    SS_Multicolor_stones_flower_basket_pin_3.JPG

Marko, mirana, elarnia and 11 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's just super pretty....and looks well made too !!!:woot::woot:

3. Curioser

Yes! The stones are exceptional. So want to place a name to it but it could be a mystery. Hopefully, other antiquers will have some ideas!

4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Our 'Joolies' are a combo Scotland Yard,NSA & Interpol when it comes to sleuthing jewelry.
    I would've lost a few fingers trying grab it at my local thrift.

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I’d think American and ww2 when you couldn’t use brass or alloys. Lovely quality.

Chinoiserie, KSW, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Charming brooch, and very nicely made, Curioser.
    Ditto.
    Could be. The style does look like it is moving towards post-war Retro. Our American joolies will probably be able to tell us more.

Chinoiserie, KSW, johnnycb09 and 3 others like this.
  7. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Lovely! Great photo's as well!

Chinoiserie, KSW and johnnycb09 like this.
  8. Curioser

Thanks all for your input. WWII period would be in line with the use of sterling though I understand that during the war the US mfgrs. had difficulty getting stones from Europe and unless they had saved stock they used fewer stones than in the 1930s or after the war.

I was thrilled when I found it, less thrilled when I realized that in my haste to make sure the pin clasp worked and all the clear chatons were present that I rushed over the examination of the larger stones. Three have side chips, not on the tables. I may end up selling this for less than I paid. I'm hoping an attribution will at least get me the chance of finding a collector for that maker.

Any Jewelry, Chinoiserie and komokwa like this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That’s beautiful!
    It’s much nicer than most flower baskets that I see which are usually made of pot metal with glued in stones.
    Such a shame it’s not signed.

10. Curioser

Yes, 'tis a shame. Back then, makers didn't think there would be such rabid collectors decades later.

11. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

What a cute giardinetti! 3-stone set is less usual I think, than having 4-5 "petals" so I wonder if originally they were going for a basket of clover and then thought ladies like more color?

12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Maybe they were going for a Vauxhall glass look.

13. Curioser

Interesting thoughts! I think it will remain in my mysteries box until I decide to release it back to the world. Thanks!

komokwa and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted