Trying To Find Out What Style Of Pottery Or Porcelain ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jrfinds, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Jrfinds

Jrfinds Member

I have this vase , at the footing of the vase it look like brown round holes and at top . I was wondering is this a style known and what is it call ? here a few photo's , all so is this porcelain or stoneware or clay ceramic ? I been look to find this style on a vase but no luck , i remember seeing this style some wear but i can't remember where, any help ! Thank You.
    image00000175 - Edited.jpg home-design (5) - Edited.jpg image00000060 - Edited.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Jrfinds! Definitely a version of "stoneware" pottery with that rough, unglazed bottom surface. If there are no marks, it's hard to say who or where made.

i need help likes this.
  3. Jrfinds

Jrfinds Member

Thank you for your answer, I was send this today about stoneware ,Stoneware is composed of fire clay and ball clay as well as feldspar and silica. It is fired at high temperatures, typically 1148-1316°C (2100-2400°F), and is inherently non-porous. The white, gray or brown clay vitrifies during firing, so the surface will be watertight. Stoneware can be left unglazed and still be usable for holding water, but it is more usual to glaze the inside of the vessel, at least.
    Stoneware is harder, stronger and more durable than earthenware. I think it's
    Earthenware
    Earthenware is the earliest type of pottery. It is made from either red or white clay baked at low temperature, typically 1000-1080°C (1830-1980°F). Since it has not been fired to the point of vitrification, earthenware is porous and must be glazed in order to be watertight. It is generally more fragile than other types of pottery.

[​IMG] DSCF0668.JPG DSCF0128.JPG DSCF0129.JPG It's real hard to read the bottom marks but they are marks there.

4. Jrfinds

Jrfinds Member

Ea
    All so earthenware is porous and must be glazed, you are right about about the glaze Thanks again.

Draft saved Draft deleted